FAQs

Monday, June 29, 2009

The Big Reveal! (Finally!)



I have been promising that I'd get pictures of my new room up on my blog. I can't believe how long it's taken me to get them up here. Somehow the pictures just don't do justice to the room. But...drum roll please, here is the big reveal!

If you look at the pictures from before we painted and redecorated, you can see that it doesn't even look like the same bedroom. I love the paint color so much. The yellow turned out to be very restful and not too bright at all. The painted woodwork brightens up the entire room. I also have a new door--which is solid so it blocks out more noise from the kitchen.

The top picture is one of my favorite parts of the room. I was so determined to have something pretty on the ceiling to look at when I'm lying in bed. I absolutely love this light fixture. The glass almost sparkles in places. It has an uplight and a downlight, both of which can be dimmed to my liking. And the fan keeps the room nice and cool. I spend a lot of time looking up at this light and playing with the dimmer switch. :)

I love looking up at the light at night so much that I don't even notice that I have a white ceiling!


Here is my bed with the nightstand and the sconces. Above is the 'summer lightweight bedding' which I ended up getting later because the spread below is too hot for summer!

The lighting above the bed is great because it also dims to my liking. And all of my lights are adjustable with remote controls! The whole top drawer of my nightstand is full of remote controls for things!



Just a photo of the spring/fall bedding. Don't know what I will do in the winter when it is time for a down comforter! It's fun to mix things up a little with the bedding though.



View from the door/next to my bed. I got three pieces of furniture: the nightstand, dresser, and lingerie chest. I love being able to open the drawers and see the name of the company and our town printed on the inside. It was fun to support local businesses throughout the process (I kept telling myself we were stimulating the economy when I felt guilty about the bedroom). I felt guilty during a lot of the process, but now I'm enjoying the room so much the guilt has eased up a bit.


Lingerie chest. You can also sort of see my curtains, which are light and airy and fresh. I love having two windows now, instead of one.


I have wanted a vanity for a very long time because it is so difficult to stand for any length of time. I was unable to ever really put any make-up on because I couldn't sit anywhere in the bathroom. I found this antique vanity for a very nice price and I love, love, love having it in my room! I can put make-up on without worrying about passing out.

Also on the vanity is my beloved digital photo frame so that I have a perfect view of it from my bed.


I had to post a picture of my TV (yes, I'm having some serious cord management issues, which I have no idea how to fix!) because those of you who know me will find this entertaining that I have a HUGE flat screen TV in my bedroom and I LOVE it! It's soooo pretty! :) Erika calls a big TV in a room 'the vortex' because you just get sucked in. She's so right! I love being able to watch some TV in bed and be reclining.

So, that is my beautiful indulgent oasis of a bedroom! I find that I love being in my room, I look forward to being in it, and I have (so far), kept it pretty picked up (with help from Mom though).

Right now, I have very few things on the surfaces and no artwork on the walls. Somehow, it doesn't feel empty or stark to me at all. It just feels clean and fresh. I have enough things to look at with my TV, planter, photo frame, fancy lights, and grown-up furniture.

Eventually, I would like to get a stool for the vanity, a headboard for the bed, and an end of bed bench, but I'm too exhausted from all of the decision making to do that right now. And, I want to get my study in order a bit more.

I LOVE my room!!! What else can I say?! Have I used the word love enough in this post? I just can't believe what a difference it makes to have a space that is restful and peaceful. Oprah always says our home should rise up to meet us, and this room does that for me.

Most of all, I want to thank Mom, Dad and Abbie for ALL of the work and time they put into the bedroom. I do so little to help out physically, and they all worked so hard and put so much time into the project to make this room happen. And it wasn't always easy or low stress coordinating all of our different opinions! Sometimes I would cry just watching how hard they were working on my behalf. It's so hard to watch my parents have to do so much for me.

I also want to thank my Dad for using some of my Grandma's money and dedicating it to this room. Of course I wish I had my Grandma instead of this room, but I feel her surrounding me when I'm in this room. I know she's always with me.

I never thought everything would come together as well as it did. And each step of the way we had a LOT of bumps in the road. The painter put the sconces back on the wrong side of the bed. Or the fan remote turned on the lights for BOTH fans in the house at the same time. Every time we thought we were done, there was something more to do! I cannot imagine doing a whole house!

I'm so pleased with how it all turned out and relieved that all of the decisions I made worked out! Now, I can just enjoy my room.

Blessings,

Emily

Photos: Ceiling fan/light fixture above the bed; Bed with summer bedding; Bed with spring/fall bedding and sconces above it; View of TV, dresser and lingerie chest; Lingerie chest; antique vanity; TV!

6 comments:

Kristen said...

Lovely room! It looks so relaxing with the soft lighting. My favorite thing is the big TV. ;-)

Corina said...

oh emily, your room looks really BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!! i really love the colors and bedclothing and the fan and i think most of all the vanity!!! in total it seems such a peaceful and relaxing atmosfere and you know, you have to take lots of time to find the right artwork. you can't just buy something to fill up the space but i'm sure at the right time you will come across the right piece of art that is just perfect for you and your new room. wishing you many many happy and/or peaceful moments in your new room, preferably outside your bed of course. you and your (step)parents have done an amazing job emily!!!
love and peace,
corina : )

Katherine said...

I love it. It looks so comfortable and comforting! I also hope that you will be enjoying less and less time there--but while you are there, that it will be a source of comfort, peace, healing and inspiration for you.

Rachel Lundy said...

Yay! The big reveal!!!

It looks good! I like the wall color. Very warm and relaxing. Your summer bedding is beautiful, and of course I love the ceiling light!

Emily said...

Yay! I have been eagerly waiting for this reveal. Your room in beautiful!! I love the ceiling fan! I am so, so happy that you have a room that is bringing you joy. :)

M.S. said...

LOVE IT! Now I want to paint and move furniture around....