FAQs

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Cousin Day Visits


My cousin Dana (a.k.a. Day) is well-known here for the continuous stream of postcards she keeps coming to our mailbox.  It's quite the motivator to make me go to the mailbox most days. That and my TV Guide. She manages to find the funkiest postcards around the city of Chicago. It's like getting a tour of the city through cool postcards--from museums, from restaurants, from art shows--which I love because I haven't been to Chicago in more than 15 years. So far my favorites have been postcards of the famous buildings in Chicago.

 Lately, a friend gave Dana a bunch of Garfield postcards --I wonder how old those are?! Dana is full of goofy and entertaining stories (I think she could be a writer), and her friends like to chip in with commentary too.  The smiles are always appreciated!



Here's the face behind the postcards:  Me and Day by the irises in the yard.  These are pics from her visit here over Memorial Day weekend.  The photo op was the biggest 'outing' I had in days!


Mom and Dana by the irises. My mom has one brother, Stan, who came to visit us in August 2007.  Dana is one of my two cousins on that side of the family. I cannot seem to find a resemblance between myself and Dana! I look like the oddball on the Jewish side of the family.



I love, love, love the shirt that Dana is wearing!

Dana was here Memorial Day weekend--right after my latest ER trip.  I'm not sure if you can tell from these photos how completely wiped I am or if the blush I'm wearing saved me. 

We delayed Dana's visit a day, but I still hadn't really recuperated at all, which was very frustrating as I haven't seen Dana in four years.  When company comes I can usually 'perk up' and crash afterwards.  This time around I felt crappy and cranky to boot--which always makes me feel disappointed because people travel so far to visit and take their precious time and energy to do so. I don't like to feel like I'm letting my visitors down.

Thank you so much for coming to visit Day--and for your continuous flow of mail for FIVE years now. I hope that next time you are here to visit life finds both of us in a new and more contented place.  I know you will start missing the slow pace of life we have here, all of the green, and most of all, the ICE CREAM! :)

Lots of love, 
EE


Photos:  A collage of postcards from Dana; Me and Dana out in the yard (I managed to get outside on Day 2 of her visit to take photos); Mom and Day; Me and Day hanging out in the sunroom.



1 comment:

Rachel Lundy said...

Dana sounds like such a great cousin! A stream of postcards for five years?! Fun!