FAQs

Sunday, June 14, 2009

To the ER Again. Pbth.

Because I like to keep things exciting, we had another weekend trip to the ER at 5 AM Sunday morning.

I had been up all night with stomach pain and nausea similar to the attack over Memorial Day Weekend. Finally, at 5 AM we decided not to wait it out as long this time and headed to the ER (via our own form of transportation rather than an ambulance). We heeded all of your advice not to wait things out quite as long this go around!

I received the GI cocktail (Lidocaine, Donnetal, Maalox) and some Reglan--which did not work as well as the medication combo I got last time. I also got fluids. I should have been decently hydrated because I did not wait as long this time to head to the ER, but my electrolytes were still off (not as badly as last time though).

Despite the fact the I was still tossing my cookies as they were getting ready to discharge me, they sent me home anyways. That was sort of how the entire visit went this morning. When I arrived I started throwing up and the doctor walks in and starts asking, "So what brings you here today?" Um, it's a little difficult to talk while you are tossing your cookies! He also looks at my record and says, "You have lupus, right?" What?!

It was a frustrating visit to the ER. I'm not sure what other choice we had though. I had already called the doctor on call and exhausted my at-home med choices.

I'm hoping to get some much needed sleep tonight, rest as much as possible, and get into see my PCP on Tuesday afternoon when my mom has off of work.

Mom's keeping me on a diet of her famous homemade chicken soup, cream of rice cereal, bananas, applesauce, and Smart Water (thank you Kristen for that tip!). Hopefully this will keep attacks at bay.

My GI consult isn't until June 26th, so unless that can be expedited, I'm just hoping to stay attack-free until then by staying on the bland diet and stopping my Lyme meds, which are probably aggravating all of my GI distress.

It's all frustrating to say the least...keep your fingers crossed!

Just wanted to use my blog as a way to touch base as I don't think I'll be able to be on email or telephone much other than to check my messages. I wrote a couple of posts the other day so I may publish those while I'm waiting to get back to blogging again.

Hope your weekend was a bit less eventful!!

Blessings,

Emily


1 comment:

Rachel Lundy said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry you had to go to the ER again, and that they weren't helpful. :(

I will be praying that your GI issues settle down at least until you can make it to your GI doc in a couple of weeks.

Hang in there. Lots of love, Rachel