FAQs

Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Mostly Medical: Post-Endoscopy

So, I had my Esophagogastroduodenoscopy today. Try saying that a few times fast!

Just a quick little update before I go back to resting more. Sorry, no photo today as I'm too tired to look through iPhoto and pick one!

Everything went beautifully. I could not have asked to be held more carefully in the palm of the medical team's hands. Every one--the nurses, the nurse anesthetist, and Dr. GI--was incredibly kind, compassionate, and careful with me. They all knew about my situation before I got there--which meant no explaining it over and over again to each member of the supposed 'team.' These folks really were a team and each one made sure I did as well as possible with the procedure. Perhaps part of this care was because I was marked as a 'patient with severe systemic disease'? :P

And I did do well. Better than I could have expected.

I tolerated the propofal and other medications fine and my blood pressure and pulse were monitored continuously. I know having the midodrine in my system helped.

Afterwards, it took me quite a while to wake up. But I was 'super' during the procedure itself because I didn't gag or cough at all, which made the nurse anesthetist's day.

Once I was more 'alert' Dr. GI came in to talk to Mom and I. He had already been in touch with Dr. ANS and discussed the types of motility issues that can accompany ANS problems.

The good news is: Everything on the endoscopy was normal. Normal esophagus, normal stomach (no evidence of gastroparesis--no retained food or fluid in the stomach), and normal duodenum. He took biopsies for celiac, which will likely come back negative since I already eat a strict gluten-free diet.

I even got pretty pictures of my tummy--which I think are cool. And somehow it amazes me that everything can look so healthy and normal and I can be so sick.

The bad news is: We still have no idea what is going on. The episodic nature of my attacks doesn't follow more typical ANS motility issues. As Dr. GI says, "I don't think this is going to be easy to figure out."

Thankfully, Dr. GI seems to be willing to keep looking for a cause and find ways to treat my symptoms. He immediately requested the nurse fax the report from today's procedure to Dr. ANS and said he'd also email Dr. ANS later today.

I feel really fortunate to have found this doctor in our town, not to mention a whole clinic full of staff who seem on the ball. It's so rare to find a doctor who is willing to keep looking, keep pursuing options, and coordinate care with other practitioners. So, in that sense I could not ask for more.

Today I have slept all day. Mom took the day off of work, so I got spoiled with things like Rita's Italian ice fresh from the store. I watched a couple of episodes of the Cosby show. I don't have any appetite, have a sore throat, some stomach pain (which started last night so I'm a little concerned about it turning into an 'attack'), and am just completely wiped out! Thankfully, I have not had any major ANS issues other than weakness and dizziness.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be awake some of the day and watch Venus and Serena kick some butt in Wimbledon!!!

Blessings and thanks for all of your good thoughts!

Emily


2 comments:

Corina said...

emily!!! great to hear you're back home (which is always a good sign dealing with everything you have to deal with i think) and that things have gone rather smoothly this time. glad for you everything seems to be okay, but on the downside: it doesn't HELP you. but it seems that you are in good hands and i hope they will work with you all the way through this queest.

as i'm wathing serena and elena dementieva right now i have to say that i'm not sure who's kicking who's but though!
take care em and enjoy watching wimbledon (which is my all time favorite tennis tournament and gues what: john and i have been at wimbledon once but weren't able to watch one of the matches).
love, corina : )

SleepingBeauty said...

Im glad that you did allright thru the test! I hope the dr can figure out whats going on.. take care emily!

love and hugs