FAQs

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Mom Update...

Hello Friends and Family!


Mr. Fuzz and I are missing Mom like crazy. I've talked to her four times today! She is very ready to fly the coop, but we are not sure if she is going to get to come home on Thursday or not. Boo!  


I guess the first 3-4 days after a stent is placed are the highest risk time for any complications from the stent such as a heart attack. In some ways, it gives me comfort to know that she is being monitored so closely. Yet, I know she's really ready to come home. And, it's not like the hospital is a good place to get any rest. It's boring, but also not at all restful. 


She is still in the ICU with a wonderful view of the roof and air conditioner. Too bad because the hospital is actually positioned so that many of the rooms have a beautiful view of the mountains. The only reason she was not transferred to PCU today was because there were no rooms available. The one nice thing about the ICU is that she doesn't have a roommate. But she has to deal with being tethered to the wall all of the time. 


We don't have a lot of news to report. The cardiologist she saw today said that he would consider Mom's 'incident' a heart attack based on her EKG. I'm not sure what to make of this technicality. In the end, what we need to do to make sure we don't have any more 'incidents' is the same, regardless. And the fact that her heart is in good shape is the good news. Also, they were able to insert the cath through her wrist, rather than her groin which reduces the risk of bleeding complications. And if bleeding does occur, it's easier to catch because it's in the wrist.


I'm starting to get more details of what actually happened the night she called the ambulance. And more details of the symptoms she had been having leading up to that night. She definitely fit the classic women's heart attack symptoms, especially with the nausea (she is never nauseous!).


Thanks to the folks who brought food and did a grocery run today! Hooray! Thanks to Dad and Abbie who put in more hours today. Abbie is really helping to keep the house 'running' by loading and unloading the dishwasher, picking up, etc. and also helping me get my hair washed. D and A have been feeding Fuzz Face, letting him out, and all that good stuff.


Thankfully I got a good night's sleep last night. The wonderful thing is that I can call the ICU at any time and get an update on Mom. So I did this last night at 1 AM right before I wanted to go to sleep. When the nurse told me how well Mom was doing I felt like I could go to sleep. I knew Jeannine would be there early in the morning. 


I am going to do the same thing tonight!


Continued thanks to the many people who have called, emailed, texted, and gchatted me today. It's really keeping me going and sustaining me to have news and support from you all. I'm completely overwhelmed by your continued kindness. 


I so appreciate the offers for help, and for letting me know what things you feel comfortable doing. I hope to have a more quiet day tomorrow where I can write down who has offered to do what jobs and figure out what kind of help we might need. Sometimes I just don't know what it is that we need! :P I know many of you who are far away are feeling especially challenged with how to help...but your emails, texts, prayers, and support ARE helping! :)


Blessings,


Emily

No comments: