FAQs

Monday, November 22, 2010

Mom Readmitted...

Hello Friends and Family!


Despite our hopes for no more 'excitement', Mom is back in the hospital. Dad took her to the ER at 4 in the afternoon, and she was finally taken to her room sometime after 9:30. To say is she is not a happy camper is putting it mildly! She feels that it was a mistake to go the ER, but she's been overruled by everyone else. :P


Unfortunately, she hasn't gotten any answers, they didn't speak to a cardiologist yet, and she won't see someone until the morning.


It's been a frustrating day. She continues to have an itchy rash that has spread from her core to her arms and legs body and has not improved despite stopping two of the medications and taking a lot of benedryl. 


Of biggest concern is the continued angina attacks, which are occurring 2-3 times a day and the fact that she feels so lousy overall. When she called the pharmacist this afternoon to refill her nitroglycerin they were alarmed at how many tablets she had needed in such a short time. Thank goodness for good pharmacists. The ER doctor was also concerned. I think this was the primary reason for her being admitted.The angina attacks are what have really had me feeling on edge and on the verge of panic. (I know, this doesn't help anyone or anything.)


Other than showing a little anemia on her blood work, other work ups appear normal at this point. 


We're so frustrated because Mom had already called regarding the rash yesterday and was told to stop two of her medications. When she called to follow-up this morning at 11 AM, the nurse seemed very attentive and assured Mom she would speak with the cardiologist and get back to her. After we did not hear back and had also spoken to the pharmacist, Mom called again at 3 PM at which time they said they hadn't spoken to anyone yet. She called again at 4 PM at which time the nurse asked her if she had requested an appointment. What? No. We had been told they would speak to the cardiologist and get back to us. He was up at the hospital when she had called at 11. 


The rest of the conversation wasn't pretty. Mom was told that she should go to the ER or she could be seen by the PA at 10:00 tomorrow morning. We're terribly frustrated to have had to make an ER trip, when we took all measures to get in touch with the office and they still sent her to the ER during office hours. 


Her cardiologist is very good. It's just getting messages TO him that is the challenge.


I have been a patient for 12 1/2 years. Mom has been one for a week. I hate watching her go through the same frustrations that I do and watching how hard it is to advocate for yourself when you are so confused and tired and exhausted and overwhelmed. It's so frustrating to be told they will speak to the doctor and then they don't. The whole day is spent waiting for the phone to ring. And it ends with no answers.


Dad took Mom to the ER, and again, Jeannine was there to be with Mom when the doctor came in to see her. Jeannine will be on duty again all day. I know she's the person to do this all, but it is so much to ask of one person. Plus, she has to deal with all of my panic! 


Dad and Abbie came over tonight to help me and will again help tomorrow. Asher got a walk with the neighbor girl today, a friend is grocery shopping for us tomorrow, another is going to the market, another is bringing dinner, and we have been getting some wonderful snail mail. We will never be able to repay the kindness we are receiving. 


In my world, I'm feeling pretty awful physically.  And I'm very scared, worried, and overwhelmed. I feel so helpless. I feel like I should 'know better' what to do. I miss Mom and I hate not being able to take her to the ER or be at the hospital with her.


May your Thanksgiving week be MUCH more peaceful and healthy! 


And as always, thank you for your continued prayers, su.pport, and love...


Blessings,


Emily

2 comments:

alia g said...

I know I can't be the kind of help I'm best at right now for you- oh, how I would be beating down your door w tasty soup if I could!- but I'm here and I am following your stories and hoping for a happy ending really soon. May it be swift and simple, too.

M.S. said...

I'm glad you are keeping us updated. I am sending my prayers!