FAQs

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Mom is Home! And How to Help...

Mom is HOME!!!!

She got home about 6:00 tonight. So, I'm signing in for my nightly report!

Right now she's asleep in my bed. We have been cuddling and resting. We crawled into bed very early, at which time she said "I feel pretty awake". Ha! Within about five minutes she was snoring. Asher is lying right next to her side of the bed. I think he missed her too, and is worried!

She can only do stairs 2-3 times a day, so for now she's up here with me. 

I haven't come down from 'hypervigilent mode' (even though I know this is supposed to be Asher's job!). I am a nervous wreck and getting a feel for what I've put Mom through over the years! 

Just after the doctor came to see Mom and discharge her, she had an episode similar to those she had been having leading up to her heart attack: Nausea, flushing, and chest tightness. It was also at the exact same time of day she had an episode Monday evening. The nurse gave her Zofran and still sent her home. She said the episode really scared her, and both of us feel unsure about whether she should have been able to come home. But the nurse did not call the doctor and still sent her home. If any of my doctor friends who have offered heir expertise have any advice or things I should know, please tell me! I'm so scared right now!

She has promised me that she will wake me (if I ever fall asleep anyways!) immediately if she has any symptoms and we will call 911. We haven't gotten her nitroglycerin or baby aspirin yet because she got home so late. None of this calling 911 and leaving without telling me! As of now she has not had any more symptoms and is sleeping. I'm praying hard we have a peaceful night.


The wonderful offers for help and support continue to come in. Today I wasn't able to do as much as I had hoped, as I finally crashed out after the adrenaline from the past two days subsided a bit. It was the first day that I felt so unable to cope with having Mom away and needing things done. I called our neighbor, who is so motherly to me, just to hear her voice. She kept saying: "What do you need?" I said: "I don't know." She said: "Well, do you need me to do your laundry?" Bingo! That was what I needed today. So, a laundry fairy came to get my laundry! :) Oh, and that 'fairy' gave good 'Mommy hugs' too. I also feasted on food from others.

I was able to set up a site on Take Them a Meal. This site allows people to sign up for meals, see what sort of things we need, see what other folks are bringing, etc. In the 'directions' area I have also listed some other things that we may need help with such as grocery shopping, so I will update that as I am able. I will know more after Mom and I have more time to go over her restrictions and limitations. I feel very scared about protecting both of us health-wise and not overdoing it. If you have called and offered help or a listening ear and I haven't gotten back to you yet, please know that we will continue to reach out and need help over a period of time so the fact that we may not have been in touch yet does not mean that you aren't needed or appreciated!

The site is www.takethemameal.com. You will be asked to enter our last name and a password, so you will need to email me for that information, as this blog is not a place that I want to publish any information that gives personal details about our address, last name, when we are home or not home, places of employment, etc.

I'll try to get out more information as I'm able. We are hoping for some quiet time together to rest and recuperate from the 'excitement' of the past three days.

Right now, I just want to be with Mom. And I want to make it through the night with her safe. 

Blessings,

Emily

2 comments:

Emily said...

I'm so glad that she is home, but I am guessing you didn't get a very good night sleep.
I hope and pray that she has no more scary "episodes"!

Thinking about you both!!!
-Emily

Katherine said...

Hope you both had a restful night. If your mom has another episode I hope she will go right to the ER. It will be taken seriously, and should be.
I'm glad you are both getting good care from your family and friends. She needs to take it easy for a couple of weeks.