FAQs

Friday, November 19, 2010

Friday Night Check-In

Hello from our camp out in my room! 


Mom is already snoring away, after watching some Martha Stewart.  Asher is again keeping watch on her side of the bed. 


Last night was a long night. Mom slept, but I was feeling so anxious I didn't sleep much at all. I was extremely unsettled about what happened right before her discharge. Thankfully, a friend who is also a doctor, emailed me and validated my concern for what happened. Jeannine, too, was very upset. 


Actually, when Mom had her episode, she had already signed her discharge papers--so I think the nurse did not want to deal with the possibility of re-admitting her, etc. and calling the doctor. He overstepped by giving her Zofran for symptoms that were classic heart attack symptoms. (She wasn't just having a little bit of nausea).


Mom called the doctor this morning but was unable to get through. Thankfully, as soon as they received the report from the hospital that an 'episode' had happened right before she left the hospital, one of the nurses from the cardiologists office called to express her concern and see how Mom was feeling. They were NOT happy that a doctor had not been called. 


Mom went to see the PA this afternoon, had another EKG and some blood work. The PA thought the event may have been med-related, but we really aren't convinced of this. He lowered her dose of Lipitor and the beta-blocker based on some of the side effects she is having, including low blood pressure. Upon standing she had numbers like me! :P She is very weak and tired which is to be expected, but we also think some of it is from the medication. We're thankful she was seen before the weekend.


The PA said the the risk of a second heart attack is highest within the first 24 hours after a stent is placed, and then again after six months when the scar tissue is forming. The risk now should be very minimal. 


We have a new 'normal' and a new lifestyle to get used to. And tonight we have the nitroglycerin on hand. Mom is a terrible patient! And I am learning how easy it is to go into caregiver mode and not take care of myself. I really hope that I can learn to sleep again! It's difficult now to know what to worry about and what not to. Tonight she woke up complaining of indigestion (something new and more frequent in the last month), and I didn't know if it was the side effects of the Lipitor of if I should give her a nitroglycerin. She seems to have fallen back to sleep...


We are hoping for a peaceful weekend of resting, wearing pajamas, watching some TV, and eating the wonderful soup and applesauce we have here. 


I can't ever say thank you enough for the prayers, the food, the rides,the grocery shopping, the laundry-doing, the messages, the love...we have been so blessed during this time and always. I started reading some of your emails and messages to mom today and will hopefully do more of that this weekend.


If you don't get any blog updates assume no news is good news and that Mom and I are just getting in some recuperation time. My ANS is an unhappy camper!


If you are still looking for ways to help from in town or out of town, please head over to www.takethemameal.com. Shoot me an email for our password. Mom thinks she's going to be ready to do things right quick. :P I told you she is a difficult patient!


Blessings,


Emily

No comments: