FAQs

Wednesday, July 08, 2009

The 'Works: SPECTACULAR!



I thought I'd start off with a picture from the finale! As you can see we had a PERFECT view of the fireworks. We were facing them directly with a completely unobstructed view. Definitely the best view of them I've ever had. From our spot we could see the ground fireworks and the ones in the sky.




I love the different gold ones that linger in the sky. My favorites!


The show lasted 45 minutes! It made trekking up there for the show worth it.

Lee has so many struggles as a result of all of her brain surgeries for cancer. Her brain is altered in so many ways. One thing that is in some ways beautiful about how she sees the world now is her sense of childlike wonder about things. She's that way because of her illness, memory loss, and so many other horrible things. Yet she reminds us all to live in the moment more.


More gold 'glitter'.


These red ones were definitely new this year and lingered in the air for a very, very long time. They were gorgeous. Why is it so difficult to catch fireworks on camera?



I'm not sure why it is that I love the fireworks so much. They feel like comfort food to me. I have so many good memories of going to the fireworks here my entire life. And it's been fun to watch the show grow over the years.



Since getting sick I've mostly stayed home to watch the fireworks on TV. One year we watched from a local golf course, but the view was only so-so. Last year was the first year since 1998 we'd gone to be near the event itself. In 1998 I was so sick and weak--I have horrible memories of that year. It's been nice to go the last two years and start creating more happy memories of the Fourth of July. Ones like I remember from all of those years ago.

When I go on an outing I am always looking for it to be something fun and joyful! And we definitely had fun.

Blessings,

Emily

Photos: The big finale; Some of my favorite kind of 'works; more cool fireworks; cool gold ones; new fancy red ones; shooting up from the ground

3 comments:

Katherine said...

Fireworks are fun! I'm glad you enjoyed such a great view of them this year. It would be a beautiful world if we never lost childlike wonder as adults and lived more in the moment. The joy fireworks bring really represents this possibility, doesn't it?!

Katherine said...

PS Your photos are great. It is hard to photograph fireworks--although I've heard some digital cameras actually have a fireworks setting?

Rachel Lundy said...

I love how you compare fireworks to comfort food. They really are, aren't they? I always enjoy the fireworks. They are so fun.