FAQs

Thursday, July 16, 2009

The 'Rolls' Is Here!



My wheelchair was officially delivered yesterday!

I'm pretty sure I'm going with the name 'The Rolls'. All credit for the name goes to Jeannine. She's even Googled Rolls Royce decals already.

Still if you have a name suggestion, I'm all ears!

When I watched Dan bring the wheelchair into the house I definitely had mixed emotions. And it still feels a little 'different' to now be the owner of a wheelchair and to see it in our house.

We are excited to be done with the loaner chair now! I was calling it the Oldsmobile by the end as it was so bulky.




As many of you know, when it arrived I freaked out a bit about the color. So much angst went into choosing the color. When it arrived I realized Blue Velvet was really pretty much purple. I really had not wanted purple because I kept thinking of my 'sick room' when I said the word 'purple.'

I can't think how I could have made a better decision by looking at those little teeny tiny swatches from the store. And I'm not sure in the end if I would have come to a different conclusion color-wise. In the end, I've calmed down a bit and think the color is nice. (It looks blue in the photos here, but it IS purple!)

Now I've reframed it to picture purple as the color of royalty and that will be just perfect with the name 'The Rolls'. Plus, my Uncle Crazy calls me a princess anyways.


We took it out for our first test-drive last night and it what a difference from the other chair! Now that I used a standard chair before this one, I think I appreciate this one even more. It is an ultra-lightweight wheelchair. The wheels pop off, the back folds down, and almost everything is adjustable (tension on the back, footplate, seat dump, back angle, armrest height, etc.). For now, Dan just adjusted the footplate a little and I will use it for a while before making any other adjustments.

If need be, I can propel myself in this chair, turn myself easily, etc. which will potentially give me a lot more mobility. I've practiced some inside today.

The ride is great! It really is a Rolls! So quiet, so smooth, and so comfy! What a change from the other chair.

Thanks for helping me take this big step! You all have been the best supporters I could ask for!

Blessings,

Emily

Photos: Some views of The Rolls! Yes, that is PURPLE.

1 comment:

Rachel Lundy said...

Fancy Schmancy!!! I like your new ride! The name "Rolls" is perfect, especially after putting up with that Oldsmobile loaner!

Enjoy your new ride. Can't wait to see pictures of you out having fun with your new weels. :)