FAQs

Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Splendiferous Sunday With Miss Erika


In the midst of the moving and redecorating, I squeezed in a visit with Miss Erika on April 5th. (I'm a tad behind on blogging. Life's going faster than I can keep up.)

Before we knew when the movers and such were coming, Erika and I had planned this visit. As the time for her visit approached she could tell from my emails that I was feeling completely overwhelmed and offered to wait to come visit in the summer. She was already going to be in town for something else this time around though and it's such a special treat to see her. 

I am so, so glad that I took a break from the redecorating and took the time to visit with Miss Erika.  I thought it might be good for me to take a break from obsessing about paint colors and it was! She also helped to get me really excited about my new bedroom instead of just stressing. I felt so much better after she was here--filled with the love of a good friend and ready to get back to the work of redecorating.

Erika worked for us as a caregiver in the Fall of 2005.  At that time I was very, very sick. She has been back to visit a few times since then and it's always wonderful. She is also able to see how I have progressed since her previous times here, and remind me that I've come a long way since 2005. Having that outside perspective is invaluable. It's also super easy to have a former caregiver here as a visitor, as she knows how to do anything that I might need and knows where everything is in the house.  She, in some ways, expects to come here and fend for herself a bit and I'm more able to let her do so because she has already been in a helping role for me before. 

This time around she kept offering to help me with things that I can do for myself now and was so excited to see me able to do even these small tasks myself. Still, I know I can ask her for what I need and this time around I did ask her to make an emergency Petco run! Asher chewed through his harness while she was here!

I seem to call many of my caregivers 'Miss' and they call me 'Miss Emily'. Now, I still call her that all these years later. 

We had so much great girl time together and lots of good talks! Thank you so much Miss Erika for taking the time to visit.  I can't wait to see you again and show you the vortex! Your visit this time around was absolutely positively just what I needed.

Blessings,
Emily



Photo: Me and Erika being goofy.  Her bunny ears are really floppy though!

1 comment:

Rachel Lundy said...

What a treat to get to see Miss Erika again. :)