FAQs

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The Gift of New Years Eve Day: Angela and Family

Friends Forever

All year long I look forward to one of my very favorite parts of the winter holiday: a visit with my friend Angela.

This year was extra-special for several reasons.


Elsa, 12 Weeks


 I got to meet her beautiful, happy, healthy, new baby girl, Elsa, who had just turned 12 weeks. It's very emotional to watch how my friends make the transition to motherhood, how it changes them--and having known Angela since we were little girls made this even more special. You're doing beautifully, Mommy Ang!


Me and Elsa (Photo by Bill)

And Elsa even let me hold her for quite a while. I lifted her above my head so many times that the next day I paid a huge price. But I didn't care. I just wanted to engage with this little sweetie. And, a part of Angela knows that when I look in Elsa's eyes I wonder just a little bit why a baby will never be part of my life. That Angela knows this, and works even harder to make Elsa part of my life is something that blesses me more than she will know. Elsa will be spoiled by me. :)


Wrapped Around Daddy's Little Finger


Oftentimes, I don't get to visit with Angela's husband, Bill, because Angela and I decide we want our one visit together to be 'girl time', but this time I got to hang out with Bill for a while too. He's an amazing guy and I love to watch them together as a family.


Angela's Parents: Ken and Olivia


The cherry on top? I got to go over to Angela's house for the first time in 15 years! I got to see her mom and dad, eat awesome Chinese food, and be in a house that I have so many fond memories of. Angela and I grew up doing every school project we possibly could together, starting when we met in 4th grade. Both of our moms were always there to help us, and we spent a lot of time at one another's homes.


Me and Elsa (Photo by Bill)


I spent FOUR hours with Angela and her family. Being able to visit with everyone, sit in the familiar furniture from all of those years ago, be with Angela, see her as a mother, and meet Elsa made for a very meaningful New Years Eve Day. 

That night I was up until 5 AM because my ANS was so mad. And I struggled to stay in the moment of the 'high' of being with someone I love so much, and a new little girl that I had already fallen in love with before I met her. 


I Love This Photo by Bill


As soon as I say goodbye to Angela after a visit home, I miss her. We keep us as much as we can via text, email and phone, but our best moments are those we spend together in person. It breaks my heart some days that I cannot travel to see my friends or that I don't know how long it will be until I see Angela, Bill, Elsa, Ken and Olivia again.

The tears are running down my face as I write this. I feel such joy over our time together, and sorrow over our distance in miles and inability to have more frequent visits.

Few friendships are as long-lasting, pure, true, honest and rich as my friendship is with Angela. In 28 years, we've continued to evolve and grow together. 

Some days, sorrow prevails. Some days joy does. This day, together with this family on New Years Eve Day? Joy prevailed. A good way to end a year, indeed.

Blessings,

Emily



No comments: