FAQs

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Caregiving Fridays




Celina makes a Pupusa!

With the start of the new year, we've been getting into the groove of having organizing sessions along with caregiving.

Friday is "Celina Day". 

Eventually, Celina will train one of the caregivers (as she is part owner of the company and trains all of the caregivers), but for now I get to enjoy being with her. 


Beautiful Omelet with Place Setting and Everything!

Celina has made something that is very hard--having someone in our home and accepting help--very easy. She's a pro in the kitchen, loves to cook, and is kind, nurturing, smart and passionate about what she does. 

We've become a great pair and look forward to doing fun stuff together like going for a ride in her convertible, getting our nails done or going shopping for make-up.


Hey Uncle Crazy! Whose Omelet is Better?

Celina spoils me with yummy lunches on the days she is here. She also made me a traditional El Salvadoran food called a pupusa. Yum!  I'm on a super-restricted diet for my gastroparesis, which is something I thought would make it virtually impossible for someone other than my mom to cook for me. Knowing that Celina can find things (and yummy things) to make for me helps me let go of some of my fears about being dependent on others.


Pupusa!

I didn't expect to look forward to Fridays so much. But last week I just hung out with Celina in the kitchen chatting and taste-testing pupusas instead of checking off things on my to-do list. 

I'm also excited that Mom looks forward to having a break as well. For 15 years, caring for me has been all-consuming, and it feels good to find ways for Mom to have a little time to nourish herself. After Celina left last week, Mom said: "I really enjoyed having a break and having more time to go for a walk with the puppies." That made me extra happy.


Chef Celina

I love starting off the weekend with my bed made, the laundry folded and put away, a week's worth of juice made and frozen, a week's worth of smoothies made and frozen, a yummy lunch, some pupusas for the next day, a few hugs from Celina, and an afternoon off for Mom. Our weeks are going more smoothly with this extra help. 

When people help in helpful ways, doing things that I cannot do for myself, it helps me to feel more in control of my life. It may seem silly to get so excited about having my panties rolled up neatly in the drawers, my clothes organized in the closet, my bed made, my smoothies ready to go, but at one time I knew what it was like to be able to do all of these things for myself. Having things done the way I want them and like them done is empowering. It takes a very special person to tune into a clients needs and wants the way Celina does. 

I truly feel as if a huge weight has been lifted off of me. And that's why I look forward to Fridays now!

Blessings,

Emily


No comments: