FAQs

Monday, January 06, 2014

How to End a Year

Kate, Ang, Jess, Gershwin, Me, Jeannine

My holiday season turned out to be a good one. I'm still recovering from it! 

Of our 'group of eight girls' who came together as friends in junior high, five of us were able to get together over winter break. Angela, Jessica and I have known one another since fourth grade, and met Jeannine and Kate in junior high. Debby, Jill and Jamie rounded out our group of eight.

When we are together we are still filled with laughter, loud voices, honesty and a deep caring and love for one another. To think some of us have been friends for 28 years is quite remarkable. 


Zoey, Tovah Rose and Kate

Kate and Jess proposed that we have the husbands and children pop in for a short meet and greet before we settled into girl time. Unfortunately, Kate's husband and kids were unable to make it, but we got to see everyone else. Is the universe against me getting to meet Kate's kids? :(


Steve, Jess, Kira, Zoey


Zoey and Tovah Rose

My 'babies' were also popular during the meet and greet. 

Kira and Gershwin

Bill and Ang

And Angela and Bill introduced us to their 12 week old baby girl, Elsa.


Kate and Elsa

She was quite a hit. And very calm about being passed from person to person!


Jess and Elsa

Jess Works her Mommy Magic

Bill worked so hard to keep her awake on the way over, only for her to fall asleep in Jess's arms.

Dad Arrives to Toast Our Friendship


Dad said he really missed seeing all of my friends and asked if he could come over for a few minutes to see everyone. We toasted our years of friendship and togetherness with champagne that he brought over.


Kate and Me

Kate and Jess are all about the puppies and babies. 

Kate, Tovah, Gershwin, Me

So, they were both a big help with drying the puppies off every time they came inside from the rain.


Jess and Tovah

Or playing with them.
Jeannine


Within our group, some folks are more in touch with each other than others, but we manage to keep tabs on one another. Kate and Jess live in the same city and see each other regularly. Jeannine and I live four houses down. And Angela remains one of my closest friends in the whole world, despite living in California. 

After everyone left, I was a bit of a sentimental mess--missing the closeness of a group of girls who used to gather together for every occasion and the comfort of being with girls I grew up with. 

Yes, I have a lot of wonderful friends, but I've never again had an entire group of girls like this one. Of course, it meant we had a lot of teenage drama as well, but thankfully, I think we've grown out of that.



Kate, Ang, Jess, Me, Jeannine


It's moments like this that make still being a townie extra special. I'm grateful for a welcoming home with comfy chairs and big windows where we can be together to share both joys and sorrows. I'm grateful that this home in which I grew up is still a place in which my friends feel welcome enough to help themselves to cups of tea, glasses of water, and plenty of snacks.  Most of all, I'm grateful that so many of us could be together at the same time and still love to be together so very much.

Blessings,

Emily

No comments: