FAQs

Friday, June 13, 2008

Thoughts on Writing: Reaching Out and the Wisdom of Tim Russert

"It was such an important lesson to me and to all of us. You know, you can be heard. You can reach out beyond the boundaries of South Buffalo."

--Tim Russert--

In an interview with Stone Phillips, Tim Russert spoke these words. As a young boy he had been able to shake JFK's hand. One year later when JFK was killed, Tim wrote an editorial for his school newspaper describing JFK.

He decided to mail the letter to Robert Kennedy, Jr.

To his amazement, Tim received a reply thanking him for passing on his newspaper editorial.

As a result, he learned the lesson stated above.

As I watched this interview clip tonight looking back at Tim Russert's life, this particular comment struck me.

Why? Because this is exactly what I am trying to do from the confines of my illness and my small home bound world.

So many of you have made it possible for me to reach beyond these confines by reading my blog and hearing my story. Just another reminder of why I write and why I love it.

When I started blogging, I had no idea the impact it would have on my life. Nor did I realize so many people would want to listen.


We'll miss Tim with his markers and white wipe board, especially during the completion of this wild and exciting election season.

Blessings,

Emily

No comments: