FAQs

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

My Big Outing: Better after Visiting 'the Betters'



On Sunday afternoon, Mom and I headed over to Rebekah's house for a much-anticipated puppy visit. On Saturday I was still feeling really sick and thinking there was no way we were going to get to go see the puppies before my next shot. But, I had enough of a turnaround to go for a little visit. Unfortunately, I didn't fall asleep until 5 am that night, just as the sun was beginning to come up, so that didn't really start off the week with a bang! But, here's the joyful part...



So, meet Rebekah and the five puppies: Luke, Kendall, Sophie, Peanut Butter, and Dogzilla (her niece and nephew came up with these names!). Thankfully, Rebekah has found forever homes for all of the puppies The puppies are nicknamed 'Betters' by Rebekah because they are Beagle/English Setter mixes (What a funky combo?!). Oh how much better I DID feel being able to go visit the betters!

The top photo is of me, Rebekah and Sophie. Rebekah is also one of my massage therapists and former caregivers. She still helps me out with organizing/sorting stuff. Rebekah is PHENOMENAL as a caregiver and massage therapist--she just has the absolute perfect personality, caring, compassion, understaning, empathy, and ability to help others. When I talked about coming to see the puppies she 'got' what a HUGE deal it was for me. So, thanks to Rebekah and the puppies...I got my dose of joy for the week. I think the zillion pictures that follow capture my joy more than any words can!





Here I am with Luke.







Rebakah's backyard in the common area behind her townhouse is gorgeous and the day was absolutely perfect.










At dinner Sunday evening, I realized what a big deal this puppy visit was. Last summer we went to see Wheaten puppies. We had to drag along my reclining chair so I could be reclining the whole time, and while I so enjoyed the puppies, I was feeling miserable the whole time I was visiting the Wheaten puppies. Less than a year later, I was able to go, sit up in the yard, and snuggle with the puppies. I couldn't believe the difference in my ANS symptoms as well as my PAIN. My neck pain is finally improving.
Small steps? Yes. Still, it's forward rather than backwards! It's helpful to have these sort of markers of progress because, especially when I am herxing, it's hard to see how I am getting anywhere and how I'm ever going to see any progress. Of course, I wish the improvements were faster...but that's another blog for another day. Right now, I want to share about the joy I was able to have this past weekend.


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Emily,
I'm so glad you got to go see the puppies!!! What a fun outing! Thanks for sharing all the pictures.
~ Rachel