FAQs

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Help Me Be on the Oprah Show!!

Okay, I really cannot believe I am doing this?! Those of you who know me well, know that I spend so much time on 'serious stuff' and the 'sick stuff'--I had so much fun escaping into this world of dreaming of a fantastically decorated home--especially my bedroom! It took me days to do this letter to Oprah, but I DID it even during my herx--which is still kicking me in the tooshie. Doing this was so 'out of my box.'

I did feel a bit selfish writing a letter for myself, rather than for someone else who might 'need' Nate to knock on their door more than Mom and I do--like Jeannine or Melissa. Perhaps that was part of the challenge?

I am not sure if I've ever really verbalized how trapped I feel at home sometimes and how unsettled our surroundings make me feel. EVERY DAY I wish I could just fix something or put up a piece of artwork or think about a new paint color for my room. I'm spending a lot of precious energy on this.

I just got back from physical therapy (for my bladder, no less!) and I was talking to Alicia, my PT, and she talked about how important it is to healing to reduce stress in your home, work life etc. I thought how perfect the timing was, seeing as I had just written to Oprah about creating a more tranquil home environment. We talked about how important it is to reduce stress as well as look at my illness from ALL perspectives and how each little piece of the puzzle can help. Stress is one of the big 'triggers' for both Lyme and Dysautonomia symptoms.

So, I am TOTALLY soliciting here. Another thing I try not to do on my blog. I'm hoping that ya'll will help me out, but I am also hoping that you will NOT feel pressured, because the entire purpose of my blog is to read what you want and don't read what you don't want to read.

The only person NOT exempt from writing to Oprah is you DAD!!!! Haha. This is because years ago, my dad got a call to be on the Oprah show and he turned it down and later said, "Who's Oprah?" What???? Who's Oprah??? Oh my. So, last year, when he was on Anderson Cooper for about 15 seconds (poor Dad they cut him off!) he said he had made up for turning Oprah down all those years ago. Well, as cute as Anderson Cooper is, he's still not Oprah!

Anyways, here's the way to help me get on the Oprah show. (It's almost Hannukah right?? Can I ask for this from Harry Hannukah?). You can either write by snail mail or by clicking on the links below. You never know, Oprah might just be contacting YOU! :) I am not sure how long the topics will be up, so it does need to be done as soon as possible.

Decorate with Nate (Main Topic Page):
http://www2.oprah.com/foodhome/home/decorating/home_nate_plugs.jhtml

Topic 1: Nate's Ultimate Home Makeover


https://www.oprah.com/plugger/templates/BeOnTheShow.jhtml?action=respond&plugId=299700001

Mailing address:

The Oprah Winfrey Show
Nate's Ultimate Home Makeover
c/o Team JS
110 N. Carpenter St.
Chicago, IL 60607


Topic 2: Need Nate's Help with a Room or Home Makeover?


https://www.oprah.com/plugger/templates/BeOnTheShow.jhtml?action=respond&plugId=299500001

Mailing Address:


The Oprah Winfrey Show
Decorating Question for Nate
c/o Team CZ
110 N. Carpenter St.
Chicago, IL 60607


Recently, Celine Dion was on the Oprah show and a girl had posted fliers all over her college campus asking people to write to Oprah telling her how much this girl wanted to meet Celine. And she got on the show! So, I'm not going to be quite that bold, but I figure it can't hurt my chances.


I mean, y'all know you want to come stay in a house and the guest room that NATE has redecorated!!!

As many of you know, I love to watch the Oprah show. I love her mix of fun stuff with really great social issues and awareness. It's been my dream for a long time to actually be on her show and speak about chronic illness in young people, lyme disease, dysautonomia and all that jazz...but it's all still percolating in my head at this point. The decision to write to Nate and Oprah was more of a crazy, fun, spontaneous one.

Your note can be super short. And you can choose your 'angle' (i.e. Jeannine likes the 'pull at the heartstrings' angle about my illness and the struggles.) Or you can just focus on how happy this would make us in the midst of the illness stuff. Whatever! You all know me well enough to write what comes from your heart about the past 10 years of my life. I just figure the more people who write the merrier!

Here's a little 'starter' to help you get going (for those of you who get brain blocks on these sort of things, like my mom does!)

Dear Oprah and Nate:

My friend/niece/cousin/daughter/stepdaughter, etc, Emily [insert last name], wrote to you recently about having Nate Berkus give she and her mom a home makeover. I would like to ask you to do this for her because......

Thanks in advance for helping me out with this. I hope Nate knocks on my door and lets me live in a new healing environment.

Later alligators and many blessings!

Emily (who's feeling a bit koo koo la la today!)

P.S. If you write to Oprah, feel free to cut and paste and post it in the comment section so that others can see what's being written!

1 comment:

Corina said...

oh emily!!! i am sure i am the first one to know how very important it is for us to love our home. as you know we've been decorating and remodelling our home this last year (where there is we, i mean my husband doing all the work and the workingmen we hired. and now that we are almost done with it i can truly say what a VERY BIG difference it is. i am soooo much happier at home, which is a huge blessing when you spent almost all of your time at home. and when we came back from a one week holiday last summer i totally forgot that we did the decoration and was (again) so pleasantly surprised when i cam home again and suddenly remembered how much i love to be at home (hope you can follow this, sorry the brainfog)!!!

i will do my best to help you and your mom get the home decoration (don't have any idea who nate is though :) ) the two of you really DESERVE it!!!

love,
corina