FAQs

Monday, March 23, 2009

Go 'Cats! Catch them TONIGHT on ESPN2!

Davidson Wildcats (27-7) vs. Saint Mary’s Gaels (27-6)
2009 National Invitation Tournament
Date: March 23, 2009
Time: 11:30 p.m. (EST)
Site: McKeon Pavilion (3,500 capacity) - Moraga, Calif.
Audio: John Kilgo calls the action on the Davidson Radio Network (1350 AM, 610 AM, 95.7 FM and online on DavidsonWildcats.com)
Video: Broadcast live on ESPN2 with Lou Canellis calling the action and Hubert Davis providing the color analysis


For as much of the 'Cats as you could ever want, click here.

You can see photos, read about all of Curry's post-season awards, Andrew Lovedale's shoe drive, game play-by-plays and stats, and any last minute schedule changes. 



Davidson is headed to the second round of the NIT after defeating the University of South Carolina 70-63 in the first round last Tuesday.  For those of us on the East Coast we have to be dedicated Wildcats fans to stay up for this game against St. Mary's.  Or be thankful for TiVo!  

No NCAA bid for Davidson this year who ended up being the darling of the tournament last year.  As 'Cats fans most of us were a bit disappointed that Davidson didn't get a bid this year, but the NIT is turning out to be as interesting this year as the NCAA. So many teams that played in the NCAA last year are playing alongside Davidson this year in the NCAA.

Tonight, the commentators will be watching the match-up between Patty Mills of St. Mary's and Stephen Curry of Davidson.  

No one knows yet if Curry will turn pro after this year, so every game we get to see him play for the 'Cats is a special treat!
 Last year Davidson made it to the Elite Eight, where they were defeated by Kansas 59-57 (the eventual NCAA champions).  I didn't manage to get Elite Eight shirts, but I did get Sweet Sixteen shirts! Here's a pic of Mom and I last year in our Davidson shirts.

When Davidson went to the NCAA last year, we were a bit unprepared in the apparel department!  We dug up a few old shirts from my years at Davidson. All of the shirts were, like, extra large! They are huge. I can't believe I wore them all that way throughout college.


Mom is wearing one of my favorite Davidson shirts. This shirt cracks me up. 

I never did finish my 'Lights of 2008' posts, but the NCAA Tournament with Davidson going all the way to the Elite Eight was definitely one of my lights! 

When I was a little girl my dad started taking me to college basketball games. He also loved to shoot hoops with me and play HORSE. Even though our driveway is slanted, we still had a hoop hanging above the garage. He taught me how to shoot hoops underhand, and somehow I managed to win a 'Hoop Shoot' contest in fourth grade. My athleticism, if you could call it that, didn't continue much after that! He was pretty proud though. 

We went to games for many, many years--even when I would be home on college breaks. As a little girl, the players were larger than life and I loved getting autographs and meeting the women's team. The best part of the game was always getting a couple of quarters from Dad to get a program!

I always enjoyed and loved following our team here. But I fell away from enjoying basketball. And the sicker I became, the more I pulled away from anything that seemed 'frivolous'. I had forgotten for a very long time to take time for things I enjoyed.

But God didn't intend for us to be serious all of the time. He intended for us to delight in this life and appreciated the many different gifts that we all bring to the world.

I'm thankful to Davidson for re-igniting my joy of the game. For reminding me to take pleasure in the game. And for reminding me to have a little more fun!  Here's to a few more threes from Curry!


Last fall for my birthday, I asked to be better prepared for future Davidson basketball games.  I got a new Davidson sweatshirt for my birthday. You can be sure I'll be wearing it today!

Enjoy the Game! Let's Go Cats!!!!

Blessings,

Emily


P.S. 

For my fellow Davidson fans, here is a great interview with Curry that aired on NPR showcasing the combination of academics and athletics. I've provided the link for you to listen. It's a great way to start your Monday!

Davidson's Curry Shines In Court, Classroom

by Scott Graf

Click here Listen Now [3 min 32 sec] 

All Things Considered, January 8, 2009 · One of the best players in college basketball this year attends school in North Carolina. But it isn't at Duke or the University of North Carolina. Stephen Curry attends tiny Davidson College, which is known for its academics instead of athletics.

Photos:  Stephen Curry playing against USC in the first round of the NIT (taken from www.davidsonwildcats.com); Mom and I in our Sweet 16 shirts last year; Mom wearing my old Davidson t-shirt that says "Princeton" on the front and "The Davidson of the North" on the back; me this fall opening presents from Dad and Abbie and showing off my new sweatshirt from them.

No comments: