FAQs

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My Favorite Tree


During my first trip outside to take spring photos I wanted to take some photos of my favorite tree before it begins to bud.  I wanted some pictures what it looks like throughout the winter. Why? Because I think this tree is so incredibly beautiful in every season.


It's a weeping cherry tree that is as old as I am. When my parents moved into the house, my dad and a friend dug the thing up and replanted it near our house. (I know, not Kosher.) 

Unfortunately, it's beginning to die in places. It's planted too close to the house. The concrete patio is hindering the roots. And the life of these trees is about 30-35 years. Sadly, each season I wonder if it will be my last to see this tree in it's current state.


I love the bark on the tree. Most weeping cherry trees purchased at a nursery have a smooth texture to the trunk, rather than the au natural look that our tree has.


I can't believe how emotionally attached I am to this tree. I hope I can get some pictures of it during all of the seasons and frame them side by side.



Our house and my favorite tree. :) My den is located where the tree trunk is.  The window in that room is the one from which I have spent the most time looking at the tree. The branches fall right in front of the window so from my recliner I can see the tree in all its glory, during each season. I've spent a lot of time in that chair, unable to do anything, but look at this glorious and life-affirming tree. 

I'm not ready to let it go and I hope it sticks around for a long time! 

It's amazing how much comfort this tree brings me and how much strength I draw from it. Viewing it from my den windows or the living room windows is like being covered in a canopy of branches, buds, leaves, or flowers--depending on the season.  It makes me feel protected and safe. And at home.

Blessings,

Emily

Photos:  Weeping cherry tree in front of our house in mid-March.

1 comment:

Rachel Lundy said...

What a beautiful and interesting tree. I've learned a lot about weeping cherry trees that I never knew before.

You've done a lot of blogging lately. Way to go!!! I haven't been able to keep up with commenting, but I have been reading. I enjoy stepping into your world and journeying with you.

Much love,
Rachel