FAQs

Monday, September 16, 2013

I Believe In Dogs

Peeking Out From Behind the Flowers

I've been thinking a lot about how much to, or not to, post about Asher and the puppies. Since the age of eight, I've had a dog and I cannot imagine my life without one (or two or three...). I was the little girl who begged and begged for a dog, who decorated holiday ornaments in school with magazine pictures of dogs and finally got my first puppy on Christmas day in second grade. My dogs were always my siblings. 


As many of you know, we adopted Asher in 2002 while I was sick in bed. I held his photo in my hands and waited for this 10 month old rescue dog to arrive in our home. Since that day, he's shown me a fiercely protective love on a level I had not experienced with any other dog. He hates to see his 'sister' suffer. He has spent every night of his life here by my side, ready to alert Mom at any time that something is amiss. Now, he also alerts us to any fighting between his brother and sister or any 'emergencies'. 


This Girl LOVES to be Outside. All. Of. The. Time.


As Asher aged, you all followed our path to deciding to bring Miss Tovah Rose into our lives. And then, our 'oops' baby Gershwin Leor. These two puppies became my furbabies, giving me a break from the often heartbreaking grief over not being a mom. Every day, I get to 'mother' my three dogs. I get to be their Mommy. 

Last night Gershwin woke us up in the middle of the night for an emergency potty break. Tovah cries herself to sleep when she is overtired. She rings the bell to go outside incessantly. Asher needs extra special attention to make sure he eats. The puppies wrestle non-stop. Each dog is a unique and special personality. I love watching them grow and change. They are eager and jolly participants in this thing we call life. And they make my life fuller, more meaningful, and happier. 



You Put These Pillows Here for Me, Right?


While I realize that many people are not as excited about these furbabies as I am, I have decided to try to post a week-in-review photo blog, something I wish I had started when the puppies were little. Some weeks, maybe it will be a look back at something from earlier. For now, these are my babies and the beings that I have been gifted with mothering. While I take joy in the blogs, photos and Facebook posts about your children, I hope you'll enjoy sharing in my journey too. I know how much I cherish following your lives--health, children, furbabies, jobs, travel, hobbies and most importantly, everything YOU! 


I Have it Made!

This week, I got a rare photo op of Asher. He is pretty low key these days. Poor guy has also been shaved since he can no longer hold his back legs up long enough to stand on the groomer's table. Thankfully, it's finally beginning to grow back! 

Otherwise, it's mostly puppy shenanigans around here. Gershwin has learned to jump up on the sofa and bed (and oh how happy he is about this newfound easy access to a lap). He jumped up and nestled himself in the pillows on the sofa the other day. As you can see, he's quite content. I sure wish I could relax like this guy can!



Tovah: Stop Torturing Me and Untether Me from My Noodge of  Brother!
Gershwin: I LOVE Being Close to My Sister! Why Won't She Cuddle With Me?

If Gershwin had it his way, he'd cuddle with his big sister. But Tovah does not like to share her space. I readied the two puppies for their daily walk with Mom and put them on the coupler. I don't know how they dragged each other over to the red bed, but Tovah is so frustrated about being 'stuck' to her brother!

Getting two puppies, as crazy as it is around here, has been such a life-affirming, joyful and sometimes challenging experience. These little guys breathed new life into ALL of us here at the GREATS. For NPR's This I Believe, I just might say: I believe in dogs. :)

I'm off to cuddle with Asher while we listen to a book on CD before bed.

Blessings, and Happy Monday!

Emily

1 comment:

Rachel Lundy said...

Aw, I love this! Thanks for sharing more about your dogs. Please do a weekly dog post!