FAQs

Friday, September 06, 2013

Shanah Tovah

Farmer's Market Flowers

Shanah Tovah!

Mom Has Been Buying Sweet Fresh Bouquets at the Market All Summer Long. I ADORE Fresh Flowers, Especially From Our Local Farmers.

Somehow this year has flown by, and I can't believe it's time to celebrate another new year, and spend the next several days reflecting and repenting.

A Holiday Meal Filled With Sweetness

We celebrated with a simple, but delicious dinner of wild salmon and local green beans and potatoes. For dessert we had grilled pineapple sweetened with maple syrup. Mom had to be a little creative this year in making the celebratory meal, which is usually filled with lots of honey, including apples dipped in honey. However, due to my gastroparesis, I am on a very restrictive diet that does not allow for either of these foods. :( We substituted maple syrup and found a way to put it on the salmon, green beans and pineapple. :) Jeannine joined us for the holiday meal and prayers.

For the past many years, I always recline at dinner time and eat with a special table at a reclining chair, even when we have company. But, this summer, I have started to be able to sit up at dinner time for meals some nights. I cannot stretch the meal out for a long time before needing to move to the sofa or reclining chair, and I need to sit with my legs Indian style, but I really love the feeling of normalcy sitting around the table with everyone else brings. So many small and large victories to enjoy and celebrate as the new year begins!

Making Being Sick Look Glamorous! Ha!

The start of the year 5774 finds me in a place of profound transformation. I feel my soul changing and growing every day. I'm happier, more joyful, more open to life and love than I have been in many, many years. My hope for this new year is that I may continue on this journey of transformation and be written in the book of life. I pray that those I have hurt unknowingly forgive and that G-d in turn does the same of me.

I snapped this photo of myself today while resting in bed this afternoon so that I would have energy for our holiday meal. I am wearing the passion flower dress that my friend Susannah designed and gifted to me. I wore it as a symbol of embracing life and who I am. I love that this photo captures the two sides of me--the one that spends much of her time sick and in bed and the other that spends as much time as possible living life to the fullest. 


No, I Didn't Purposely Dress to Match the Flowers Today.

To my friends and family of Jewish faiths, may your year be as sweet as honey and apples, may you be written in the book of life, and may you be blessed with health, peace and love.

Blessings,

Emily








No comments: