FAQs

Thursday, May 05, 2011

Under Our Skin to Air on PBS



As of now, there really is no medicine for someone like me. The reasons why there is no medicine for Lyme disease are complicated, overly-politicized, and outrageous. For me, seeing Under Our Skin was the first time I truly understood the complexities of this illness and the powerful ways in which patients are being neglected and doctors are being kept from treating people like me. There is a reason the production company for Under Our Skin is called Open Eye Pictures. This movie will move you. 


As part of Lyme Disease Awareness Month, PBS stations across the country will be airing a shorter version of the film Under Our Skin.


Click here for a schedule and list of stations.


For those of you who haven't yet seen the film, I highly recommend watching it. The film is also available on demand from iTunes, Netflix, Comcast and many other ways. I still have copies available to lend and it is probably at your local library.


Interestingly, the decision by PBS stations to air the film has been met with resistance by the Infectious Disease Society of America (IDSA). The IDSA has been working hard to get PBS stations to pull the broadcasts, claiming the film is "dangerous for viewers" and full of "conspiracies."


So far, one Minnesota PBS station did pull the airing of the film after discussions with the IDSA. Thankfully, most stations have not changed their decision to air the film.


As stated on the Under Our Skin blog post on this topic: The Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) was created in 1967 to "provide a voice for groups in the community that may otherwise be unheard," and serve as "a forum for controversy and debate" by broadcasting programs that "help us see America whole, in all its diversity."


I am so grateful to the people of Open Eye Pictures who were willing to shed light on such a controversial subject. I'm grateful to PBS for staying true to its mission, for making this film available for viewing to so many more people, and for allowing those of us who feel unheard to be heard. 


On the subject of gratitude, THANK YOU so very much to those of you who have pledged to support me in the 1st Annual International Virtual Walk to Turn the Corner!!!! Because of your generosity I have more than doubled my fundraising goal of $250! I've been so lifted up and encouraged by your support. (Click here for my blog post on the topic and click here to go to my fundraising page.)


With efforts from so many people on so many fronts to raise awareness about Lyme disease and other tick-borne illnesses our hope is that someday soon there will be a medicine for someone like me.


Blessings,


Emily



No comments: