FAQs

Friday, May 20, 2011

First Day Post-Surgery Update...

Flowering tree at the arboretum.

Just a quick little check in from our little world.



Mom was transferred out of ICU this morning. On Saturday morning she will have a physical therapy evaluation to see if she is cleared to do steps, etc. and then she will be released--hopefully in the afternoon.


Mom continues to be completely and totally exhausted and uncomfortable--all to be expected post-surgery, but I think she is way more wiped and miserable than she ever imagined she would be. I haven't really been able to talk to her because her throat hurts so much and because she is so tired. She wanted the day to be as quiet as possible, so Jeannine just popped up to check in on her a couple of times. 


Mom and I had agreed that it was best if I not come and visit her (this was hard, but also the right decision). I do wish that I could be there to advocate for things that have gotten missed or messed up, so that has been frustrating for me not to be able to take care of her more.


I don't know if you can ever fully prepare for these things, but I know that we certainly didn't have a sense of some of the post-surgery discomfort (such as the swelling and numbness/tingling in the arms and hands) that she is having. I guess no one would have surgery if they told you how bad it was going to be in advance?! :P 




Flowering tree at the arboretum

Asher and I are holding down the fort here as best we can (which isn't very well). I pretty much stink at 'running the household' even on a small scale and even with help from a petsitter in the mornings and a caregiver in the evenings. I'm trying to keep up with some of the small tasks that Mom does every day to keep the house running--like bringing in the newspaper, getting out my lunch, picking up papers and mail, feeding Asher, and picking up the dog poop--but even those small tasks totally wear me out!

Asher has been spending a lot of time waiting and watching by the patio door, hoping Mom will be home any minute. We are ready to have her home and take care of her here. 

Thanks for hanging in there with us! I'm sooo exhausted, I'm not feeling very creative or articulate tonight, but did want to get out an update as I've been unable to return phone calls, emails or texts at all today.

Blessings,

Emily

2 comments:

magpie said...

Dog poop and mail can wait. Get some rest. You need those spoons for other things, like sending healing thoughts! :-) I think you're right - no one would ever get surgery if they knew the impact on their bodies. It must be so hard not to be with your mom right now!
Thinking about you and hoping that your mom turns the recovery corner soon. BIG hug!

Katherine said...

Don't wear yourself out. If it is tiring you to do these things it is not worth it! You don't need a big crash.
Thinking of your mom and you. You are both strong amazing women!!