FAQs

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Dad Watches the Masters (In the Hospital?)



Well, Dad took his Masters viewing to a new level today. Instead of getting to watch it on his fancy new 55" HDTV, he watched the conclusion from Room 233 at the hospital. Yeah, he's pretty excited about his new HDTV, even though I question his abilities to operate it and he's not that into gadgets. Recently he asked me what an app was and, while he bought me a Droid,, I'm not sure understands what exactly it is. I really think he just wants a TV bigger than his brother Larry. :))


The short of it all is that he is in the hospital with pneumonia. Abbie made a really good decision to take Dad in for care today, rather than waiting until Monday to call the doctor. Thank goodness for Abbie!


He is on IV fluids, steroids, and antibiotics and receiving breathing treatments. Abbie felt that he was so tired he would sleep tonight, and that he was doing much better than when they had arrived at the ER. The ER doctor said that he was past the point at which oral antibiotics would be effective, so he gets to hang out at the hospital for a bit instead.


By the time I talked to him this evening he had spent most of the day in the ER, finally gotten admitted to a room, watched the end of the Masters and had some dinner (which said tasted good!). He was so exhausted he wasn't making a whole lot of sense, but he said he already felt better than he had earlier in the day. 


While I am my usual anxious and worry-wart self, we are all feeling good that he is getting the care he needs and Abbie did a GREAT job being intuitive about what might be wrong when she heard a rattling sound when he was breathing this morning. He's dealing with what he thought was a respiratory bug all week. 


I wanted to put out a little blog post with the news since so many family members read my blog, and I don't have the website up and running well at all. I'm hoping y'all will read, spread the word, and say some good prayers. I have no doubt that our family can spread the word quickly and say lots of rosaries!


We hope Dad's first hospital stay since 1958 (!!!) will be a short one. He felt well enough to say he was already ready to fly the coop and they would likely release him at midnight tonight. It's going to be so hard for him to take this time that his body needs to recover. He'll be reading his journal articles, dissertations, and whatnot in the hospital!


Blessings,


Emily

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Looks like someone was jealous of all your needle sticks and blood draws and wanted some of his own (hah, yeah right!)!

I hope his body is more cooperative than yours and recovers ASAP. *hugs*