FAQs

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The (Very Belated) Birthday Blog: The Big 32



Posted by Picasa

As always, I find myself 'taking stock' a bit each year on my birthday. Turning 32 seemed a bit scary (as it seems so weird to be 'thirty something'). Age aside, it turned out to be a most joyful birthday.

Compared to the past two years and the past two 'birthday blogs', turning 32 was a fantastic birthday, giving me hope for better things to come.

We celebrated with a 'birthday week' so I could spread out the fun (and manage it all energy-wise!) Even our mailman was teasing me throughout the week. My birthday was on Wednesday October 10Th.

The cards began arriving on Saturday before my birthday (Go Meredith and Uncle Stan--you beat the Columbus Day back up!) By Thursday the 11Th our mailman, Ben, was writing on the backs of my cards. First it was, "More Cards??????" On Friday it was, "More. More. More. When will they stop?" And by Monday it was "More????" One day he brought packages as he drove down the opposite side of the street and the cards as he came back down our side of the street. He said he didn't want me to get too overwhelmed with excitement all at one time! He also told me to stop lying about my age--that I might be 23, but certainly could not be 32. I wish!

I spent most of Tuesday and Wednesday on the phone--the biggest blessing being that I was well enough to take so many phone calls, although I still missed many calls while I was sleeping or napping. The best part is that I still have all of your singing preserved on my voicemail--and boy, no offense, but I don't have many friends who can sing very well! Aunt Jeanette said she was probably giving me a scare for the day. Dad's singing has to win the award! Yikes! I got to catch up with so many people, which is my favorite way to spend a birthday! I was disappointed that I didn't get to talk to those of you who called while I was still asleep in the morning or napping.

Wednesday evening, Mom made my favorite salmon recipe and we had a low-key dinner with a visit and birthday hug from Dad.

Thursday I needed to recuperate!

On Friday I felt well enough for a little birthday 'party' which I was soooo excited about. This is the first time I've felt up to having a little company. Mom cooked fillet mignon and my favorite gluten-free, dairy-free dessert, apple crisp! A very yummy dinner! And Dad and Abbie came over for dinner. We had such a nice evening and I really enjoyed being able to have a birthday dinner with all of my 'parental units' at one time. I teased Mom that I felt badly that the fillet was such an expensive dinner choice, to which she replied, "That's okay. You paid for it. I used your food stamps!" I'm sure the government would be thrilled to know how I'm using my food stamps.

On Sunday afternoon, Sarah and Bob stopped over for a visit with their new puppy, Buffy dressed up as a 'Buffyfly'. As always, we had a really nice visit and the two hours went by way too quickly. Buffy slept in Bob's arms like a baby the entire time!

My birthday was what I love most--filled with lots of love and time with friends and family. I was able to enjoy that time with people and on the phone more than I have the past two years. When I turned thirty I was so down. This year, I felt so alive and hopeful.

I received so many meaningful gifts, notes and cards many of them affirming my new sense of becoming a butterfly--from Buffy the Buffyfly to flowers in a butterfly vase to an entire gift themed around butterflies and 'sprouting my wings' (little butterfly earrings, Finding Neverland on DVD, note cards, etc). These gifts were affirmation to me that others also see a butterfly sprouting inside me. My spirit feels more alive than it has in a very long time (although I am having trouble holding onto that feeling these days).
I also cherish my Willow Tree 'Heart and Soul' piece which Melissa purchased as a symbol of our friendship, as well as all of the fun cards (love those Hallmark singing cards!) and kind words you wrote.

The gifts and cards were fantastic...but most of all I just cherished feeling alive on my birthday. I cherished being able to enjoy the cards. I remember being too sick to even enjoy opening packages or cards in years past. I cherished every phone call and conversation. I lamented the calls I missed and folks I didn't get to speak with. I cherished our wonderful dinner and time with family. I saved my voicemails (and your singing!) so that I could listen to them all again and write this blog (would have been better to write it a little sooner!)

I hope that each year of my 30's will be better and better. So far, that has been the case. I hope this really is my decade of healing, as I declared on my 30Th birthday. I hope that I am truly sprouting my wings and getting ready to fly again!

Thank you all for the gift of you in my life. Every night after my bath, I lie in bed and listen to the soothing sound of my new 'bubbler' that Mom purchased for me. I allow myself to be quiet and rest in what I have been given. I find that I am continuously humbled and amazed by the abundance in my life. I found myself overwhelmed by this abundance as I celebrated my birthday.

Blessings,

Emily

Pictures, Pictures, Pictures! To enlarge the collage, you must be on the website (not just reading in email) and double click on it. I've included pictures of Sarah, Bob and Buffy; Mom and I on my birthday; Dad, Abbie and I during our Friday night birthday dinner; the butterfly themed flowers from Sarah; me opening gifts from Mom (the bubbler and other assorted goodies); me opening gifts from Dad and Abbie (lots of fuzzy socks! barrettes! (Rachel these new obsessions are all your fault!) and a pedometer). I'm also sporting my birthday crown from Melissa and my cherished Iowa gear.

The larger picture is my favorite picture from the 10Th--I felt like it captured how alive I felt. And of course, Asher is sooo cute! The weather was gorgeous.

1 comment:

Tess said...

Happy birthday! It sounds like a great week.