FAQs

Sunday, October 07, 2007

A 'Good Report' from Dr. Lyme

Posted by Picasa
Here's a picture of me with Dr. Lyme (looking so serious!). I thought I was hanging in pretty well, considering it was Day 3 of our trip and I'd only had 5 hours of sleep the night before. Dr. Lyme looks so serious in the picture, but really he's such a warm and gentle spirit!

We had a FANTASTIC appointment with Dr. Lyme. I wish I had written this blog when the appointment and the excitement of it was fresher in my mind (and before I had increased my Lyme meds and am feeling like crappola again!).

In summary: I got lots of 'A's' from Dr. Lyme: for progress, for my neatly organized med lists, etc.

He was so 'on' at during the appointment. When I walked in he was so excited to see me up and moving about.

I first saw Dr. Lyme in November 2005, and this was our first trip back to see him since then. I've been communicating with him by phone consults.

During our first visit, Dr. Lyme was very shy, quiet and reserved. He is also very, very cautious. I remember him telling me on the phone after my first appointment that he would not treat me for Lyme disease unless he felt sure that I had it because he did not want to put me through treatment unnecessarily, especially since he did not know how much better (if at all) I could get.

So, to see his excitment at this appointment was REALLY encouraging for all of us--Mom, Dad and I. Dr. Lyme tends to be more of a realist/pessimist compared to Dr. ANS who is always Mr. Upbeat.

I'm not sure what prompted Dr. Lyme to say this, but shortly after we started the appointment he commented that I should go to MPH school and then to medical school. He had it all figured out: go to Dartmouth where they have a one year MPH program and then go to medical school. He was pretty excited about the thought of someone following in his footsteps.

I asked him: "Would you really go into medicince again if you had to do it over again, given the state of healthcare today?"
He said, "Yes, I have not regrets. I would do it again in a heartbeat."

We had some more discussion on the state of healthcare and he realized my passion for it, continuing to encourage me to go to school.

Our discussion made me realize how patient-centered, ethical, and moral Dr. Lyme is. I realized how safe I felt in his care. Even with all of the witch-hunting going on after Lyme doctors he would still do this? I was amazed.

After he brought up medical school a couple more times, I sat up (I was lying down for much of the appointment) and looked him right in the eyes and said: "Dr. Lyme, is it really realistic to think that I could get that much better and go to MPH and medical school?"

He said, "Yes. That should be our goal."

I am still blown away by this thought. That I could really get that much better. That he was so sure and so confident. He doens't say things he doesn't think might happen. He doesn't make empty promises. He's realistic and honest.

When I came home from the trip I felt joy and amazement that we had this much hope to go on, but also a bit overwhelmed and unsure of whether or not I could really get that much better.

Only time will tell.

The outcome of the appointment and treatment decisions:

We are going to 'stay the course' on the meds I am currently taking, continuing to gradually increase all three of them as much as possible. I am currently doing triple therapy of Minocycline, Malarone, and Plaquenil. I've just increased the Minocyline this week.

We are 'stayng this course' because it is working.

If I begin to plateau or slide backwards, then we will try something new, but it doesn't make sense to change course while things seem to be working.

I am still on very small doses of all of the meds, and even if these medications 'fail', Dr. Lyme assured us that we have many more options to try. Very reassuring!

Asking if he could curse in front of us, Dr. Lyme commented that I was still on a 'shitload' of other medications. It was hilarious! But, we agree that all of the medications are reasonable and necessary choices.

We discussed my problems with reading and that I am still unable to read (which he noted would be a serious problem for medical school) and I may look into some sort of eye therapy--such as vestibular therapy or optometric therapy. I've been hoping that as I improve, my reading will gradually come back, but Dr. Lyme noted that we can actually become deconditioned and need to retrain the eyes and brain.

We retested for Lyme disease and other tick-borne illnesses. Right now we are treating me for Babesia, but I haven't yet had a positive test.

So, that's the 'doctor report'.
Thanks for your patience in waiting for this blog! So many of you said you were anxious to hear the update but were waiting for me to blog. I will blog next about meeting Jenn and the alternative doctor.

I came home feeling so pleased with the trip and Dr. Lyme's enthusiasm. When I said I was taking 1/4 mile walks he was so excited as if I was running marathons!

I've searched so long and so hard for answers. I've searched so long to find doctors who trust me and whom I trust. I feel so incredibly grateful to be held in the palms of Dr. Lyme and Dr. ANS's hands. I am so blessed. I am so grateful to feel that we finally have the right diagnosis and can really work on treating it now.

Blessings,

Emily

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Emily,
Thanks so much for sharing about your visit with Dr. Lyme. It was encouraging to read and hear a good report! I will be praying that you continue to see improvements in your health. I look forward to reading the rest of the update(s) on your trip. Lots of love to you,
Rachel