FAQs

Thursday, June 07, 2012

Josie and Bruce: A Lovely Reunion

Josie, Bruce and me


While I try to continue the medical update, I also want to catch up on sharing photos from fun stuff and visitors. I'm way behind! 

I continue to say that Facebook has been such a positive source of connection and reconnection, because here is yet another example of how it has enriched my life. In high school Josie and I were both part of a group called Peer Listeners, a group of students available to our peers to provide a listening and confidential ear. We trained together as a group, which is how I met Josie.

Our experiences training together left an indelible mark on my heart. One day we went for a retreat, during which we engaged in activities such as trust falls, rock climbing, and repelling. Despite her disabilities, Josie found a way to repel that day! I remember standing and watching her, cheering for her and admiring her confidence. I was self-conscious about everything, and I was in awe.

I always wondered how she was doing, we were reconnected through Facebook, started texting regularly, and have now been trying for at least a year to get together for a visit. We struggle with very different disabilities--which presents us with different perspectives but lots of empathy for each other. We're also HUGE dog lovers. :) 

So, Josie and and her husband Bruce made it over for a lovely afternoon visit. They are the sweetest couple--showing each other such patience, appreciation, and respect. We had so much to talk about, poor Bruce didn't get to say much, but he listened patiently (and he wasn't even the Peer Listener growing up :))! Josie, Bruce and I discussed the complications that come with saying a person with a disability is an 'inspiration', so I will leave it that I admire their resilience and their zest for life in the face of challenges. They are wonderful teachers for us all.

Thanks so much for the visit you two! I hope you will come back to meet the puppy! :)

Blessings,

Emily

No comments: