FAQs

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Vacation Status: Booked!

View from the deck of the condo.


We have officially booked a VACATION!!!


AND, I finally have my computer back! :)


After Mom had her staples removed two-weeks post-surgery (and the surgeon felt okay about her lifting, traveling, etc. after the six-week mark), I made the phone calls to book a condo in Chincoteague. We had been looking at possible places to travel and places that might be accessible to my needs. Our number one desire was to be near WATER.


We were able to find a villa that is all one level with water views from most of the rooms. This means that if I am not feeling well enough to go out (or the weather is yucky), I will still be able to feel that I am near nature and water. Our villa is on the first floor, and as you can see from the photo above we are practically IN the water. A little dock extends from the deck out into the water. The condo folks are allowing us to use one of the chaise lounge chairs from the pool area so that I can recline out on the deck if it is nice out.


Right after I booked the villa we heard reports that this season is expected to be a particularly bad one for hurricanes. Hopefully we will not be stuck inside the entire week with rain (or worse, miss our trip!). Good thing we purchased the travel insurance!


This will be my first vacation, and our first together, in many, many years.


We've been putting off vacations as we wait for me to feel better. Finally, during one tearful discussion we decided to find a way to go on vacation regardless of how I am feeling. Through the tears we discussed how we might be able to go on vacation, where we might be able to go, what was most important to us, how it would it be different than what we used to dream of, and whether to go regardless of how I'm feeling. 


The hardest part for me will be accepting my limits in terms of not being able to go on many outings because it feels like 'missing out' on so much beauty in the Chincoteague and Assateague area. I very much hope we will get to see some of the ponies, birds, and beach. I can feel like it is a 'waste' if I am not able to go out and do things and am 'just hanging out at the villa', but I am working on letting go of that! 


We decided on Chincoteague because it is a place with lots of handicap accessibility if I am able to go out (they even have beach wheelchairs to use!), with very low key outings in nature, with a small quiet town and with a villa equipped with all of the amenities we could ever need. I'm very much looking forward to soaking in the big tub! 


As a bonus we will be staying near enough to a friend I met almost 10 years ago in an online support group. We plan to meet her and her daughter and have them for an overnight at the villa! I'm really, really excited to meet Katherine and her daughter, as Katherine has become such a dear friend.


Mom and I are most looking forward to spending quiet time together in a comfortable place surrounded by nature. We hope for outings, but will accept if I am able to do that. I am looking forward to the time away from to-do lists, email and Facebook, but not the time away from Asher or having to pack everything but the kitchen sink!


Blessings,


Emily

3 comments:

Katherine said...

YAY! We so look forward to seeing you!!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmmmmmm

I am sooo looking forward to Chincoteague...
I am printing the picture of the bay to keep it in my mind as we prepare for the trip.

xoxoxo
mom

Rachel Lundy said...

Yay for having your computer back, and double yay for getting to go on vacation!!! I am so excited for you. And you get to meet Katherine! How cool is that?! :) I would stop using so many exclamation points, but I can't because I'm so excited for you! I look forward to hearing about your trip and seeing pictures. I will be praying for good weather and that your body will cooperate. Love you, friend.