FAQs

Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Thursday: Surgery Queen to Leave Her Penthouse Suite

Purple and Peach Pansies at the Arboretum.

Our Surgery Queen will be leaving her penthouse suite a l'hopital on Thursday! 


She describes her giant single room with a big window and big flat screen TV as 'luxurious'. She's doing well: walking around, sitting up, eating well, and getting good care.


Dr. Neurosurgeon kept her another day just to give her a little more rest time before coming home. He feels very badly about the small nick on her myelin sheath, as it is a mistake that he rarely makes, however we are not at all upset as he did an excellent job on both surgeries.


Fatigue and discomfort at the site of the incision are her biggest complaints, so we plan to be doing a lot of resting over the next several weeks. I am not sure yet of her restrictions, but I assume they will be similar to her last surgery: no lifting more than 5 pounds, no driving for two weeks, taking it easy for 6 weeks, and also no bending or twisting (since this surgery was on her lower spine). Right now it is hard for her to get into a comfortable position.



I'm managing better than expected and am thankful to some med changes that improved how I was feeling just in time for Mom's surgery. Other than having help with Asher (Dad and Abbie letting him out and feeding him in the morning; a neighbor walking him in the evenings), I've been able to be home and manage on my own, thanks to Mom's meticulous planning. Jeannine came over tonight to help me with a couple of things in preparation for Mom's arrival home.




Purple and Peach Pansies at the Arboretum.


Many of you have asked how we manage and what I do when Mom is not here. Before her surgery she did every household chore possible, all of the laundry and stocked the fridge full of everything I could ever need. She also made up individual dinner plates for each night she was away. While I make every effort to never use paper plates or plastic water bottles, I went against what every fiber of my being tells me not to do, and used these items. This has meant that I do not need to have a caregiver come in to help with dishes, filling canteens with water, refilling the water pitcher, cooking, etc. and Mom will not have as big of a mess to come home to. 


I focus my physical energy for the day on getting out my (already prepared) meals and taking care of Asher. Not having a caregiver in and out of the house keeps things more low-key and quiet for me to rest or get other things done. And sometimes, if I'm really tired, things just don't get done! Tonight, that was getting a bath. I promise to destinkify myself tomorrow.


I'm totally exhausted, but this is by far the best I've been able to manage with her away this past year. I think a large part of that was due to taking more short cuts (such as the bottled water and pre-made dinner plates), knowing more of what to expect with the surgery and hospital stay, and having more quiet time home alone with Asher. I truly hate that by creating more independence for me, I am also creating more waste. 


I've had trouble resting well while Mom is away, mostly because I'm wondering how she is doing. She had a great nurse this evening when I called and was doing really well, so I am hopeful tonight will be more restful.


Continued thanks for your good thoughts, calls, emails and offers to help. How wonderful to wake up to so many messages bundled in love each day!


Blessings,
Emily

No comments: