FAQs

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Birthday Blog: Turning 35



I am definitely late in getting a birthday post up, but it is still October as I start writing this. It is still 10/10 (which won't happen for another 100 years!).


Okay, so last year at this time I had a fantasy image of feeling fantastic after a year of Rocephin. In that image I felt much-improved health-wise and had a heck of a celebration of life and new beginnings at 35. Obviously, the significant improvements in health we had hoped for didn't happen.


Still, we all figured out a way to celebrate turning 35, and I ended up having a really special and beautiful birthday. We spread out the celebrating so that I could enjoy it and not crash too hard. Stopping the Rocephin before my birthday was definitely a good decision. Otherwise, I would have been too sick to do any of the things we did and I think I would have taken turning 35 very hard.






I spent one afternoon opening and enjoying birthday mail, one afternoon taking a couple of calls from friends, one afternoon going to the arboretum in town for the first time, one afternoon having a 'Princess Party' with Jeannine and Mom, and one afternoon having lunch with Dad and Abbie. I was so grateful my body cooperated the way it did! I was absolutely determined to carve out some time to celebrate even with the stress of the flood, etc.


I was surprised in the end how calm I was about turning 35. I thought I would be very focused on the losses I grieve, especially marriage and children. Instead, I found myself able to focus on the gift of being alive, of having new options health-wise, and of being incredibly loved and blessed in so many ways. 


I focused on the abundance of LOVE in my life, and it was a beautiful birthday. Thank you to all of you who called, sent cards, gifts, and wishes!


Blessings,


Emily

Photo: Pumpkin Spice cupcakes (gluten-free, dairy free of course!). It was very hard for me to stray from my traditional vanilla cupcakes with chocolate frosting, but these were worth it!; opening presents with Dad and Abbie (doesn't that look like Asher on the bag?!)...sadly we have no photos of us together.

3 comments:

Ellen said...

Mmmmmmm pumpkin spice cupcakes!

Katherine said...

The cupcakes look wonderful. I am so glad you had a happy birthday. BTW, I appreciate all the e-cards you send me. So sweet. And I rarely send you a card. :( I will try to get a lot better about that!

I'm so glad you could enjoy Halloween. It is a fun holiday. I love how it forces neighbors to interact--more than any other holiday. We need more community building holidays!

magpie said...

I'm so glad you had a wonderful birthday! I am not looking forward to mine, but it's nice to know that we're in such good company. We're turning 35 virtually together!
I don't think you should rule out marriage and children just yet. I can't imagine what it's like to be so sick for as long as you've been, but I know that you are a beautiful, wonderful person who has a LOT of love to give, and I sincerely believe that there's more than a little chance that there's someone out there waiting to find you. Children may not come in the way you would traditionally expect, but your love is looking to find a home, and I have confidence that it WILL find it one day.
Happy birthday to one of the more amazing people I know! I am really lucky to have reconnected with you, and I am sending you much love to carry you through our 35th year.