FAQs

Monday, June 18, 2007

Marking my Nine Year Anniversary...




"Into Your arms I entrust my spirit and my healing while I sleep and while I wake. And with my spirit and my body also, as long as You are with me, I will not fear."




I have recited this prayer almost daily for the past several years after discovering it (and modifying it a bit) in a book called "Jewish Paths towards Healing and Wholeness". Many days I pray it over and over again as a form of meditation.




Today, I mark my nine year anniversary of getting sick.




I mark it this year, as I do every year with mixed emotions, and my coined phrase of 'grief and gratitude'.




When I first got sick nine years ago at age 22--one month and one day after graduating from Davidson--I never anticipated that I would still be sick nine years later. My thirties certainly felt VERY far away! I felt that I had so much time--so much time to get better and still get on with my life, marriage, family, career, schooling.




Now, I find myself continuously redefining my dreams, redefining what getting better means, and redefining what a life will be for me. Suddenly at 31 I don't feel like I have all of the time in the world to get better without losing so much more time. I'm having trouble not being 'in a hurry', not losing patience, and holding onto hope when it's needed the most. At the end of the day, I try to remember Steven Spielberg's favorite ending: HOPE, but some days this is more difficult than others to achieve. For the first time, I've found myself really struggling to say 'this IS a life, it's just a different path...'




Since turning 30 and watching a couple more anniversaries go by, I have struggled as I watch my friends settle into careers, marriages, new homes, and having babies. While I joyfully embrace my friends' joys and accomplishments (I wouldn't wish anything but happiness for them), I admit to a bit of sadness and coveting on my end of things. This has been my greatest challenge of late: to be happy for them, to grieve my losses, and to find value in my own life.




When I read the book Gilead (which I could hardly get through...Blach!), the writer of the book spoke to me deeply on one front. She said that the commandment "Though shalt not covet" is one that is impossible to keep. This very spiritual novel reassured me that I was human to covet, human to want these things that I thought would be mine, human to covet being out in the world like my friends and family.




Some days I try to imagine what it was like to move freely in my body and I can still just grasp what that feels like, but it is almost as if I have been sick so long that this ability to feel that muscle memory, or even cognitive memory, is fading. Just the other day I spoke with a friend who also danced and now also has POTS--we both spoke of dancing to Enya. The last dance I choreographed was to her song Ebudae and I often try to imagine what it would feel like to dance again.




I continue to struggle to find ways to feel full in my own life, as most days I am too sick to engage in activities that nourish me creatively, intellectually, emotionally, spiritually, physically and socially. Aaahh, but this is another topic for another day for another post!




Lest I end this post sounding as if life is a complete downer on this anniversary...there is also much to be grateful for. This brings me to another Jewish prayer recited each morning upon waking:




"I gratefully thank You, Oh Gracious One, for restoring my soul to me."




I understand that this time is NOT 'lost' time. I understand that I have learned more spiritually and emotionally than I might ever have learned in my lifetime if it weren't for this illness. I have learned so much and am always eternally grateful to those who support me with love and kindness, especially my parents.



I am also grateful that as I mark this anniversary we can truly say that I am in a better place physically than I was a year ago at this time. It's very slow (tortoise pace), but it is there if I watch for those subtle changes in pain or sleep or energy. This gives me a better sense of peace that we may be on the right track medically. The pace is a bit scary though--I may not have been too far off when on my 30th birthday I labelled this a 'decade of healing'.



Does my 'grateful section' of this post seem shorter than my section on grief? This is for two reasons: First, I have been grieving more lately and experiencing a 'dark night of the soul' more deeply. Secondly, I hope that my gratitude has already, and will continue to come through in my other posts which tend to focus on the 'ups' in my life. I hope my other entries reveal that even when I grieve, I cherish life and sustaining love.



Perhaps as my friend Marla said in an email to me about my journey: "I'm reminded of a line in an Anne Frank movie I saw once (Mary Steenbergen played Miep Gies, the Dutchwoman who befriended the family): "Every day more [of waiting and hiding] is just one day less of it." It's a rather profound way of looking at things that must be endured."

Perhaps each day of enduring this difficult Lyme treatment IS one less day of being sick. I do hope so and pray so. In the meantime, I grieve my losses and joyfully embrace my blessings. I work every day to make my life a blessing, and will continue to do so, illness or not.


Blessings,


Emily

Photos: Our redbud tree in early spring. Our irises in full-bloom in June.

5 comments:

Melanie said...

Beautiful... honest... God honoring... and deeply touched me.
Thank you for sharing your heart my Dancing Light friend!

I could so fully relate when you said, "I continue to struggle to find ways to feel full in my own life, as most days I am too sick to engage in activities that nourish me creatively, intellectually, emotionally, physically and socially."

Love you so much, Em!
~Melanie

Tess said...

Emily--Thanks so much for the email update and sharing your blog. I was very moved by your posts.... I wrote a response on my blog here if you feel up to reading. I hope it didn't end up coming out wrong, and that you can see it was written in a spirit of love. :)

P.S. I agree with you that Gilead was slow, but it had some lovely lines. My favorite was "There are a thousand thousand reasons to live this life, every one of them sufficient."

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily

Your writing is beautiful, and as always, you are an inspiration to me. You help me to seek gratitude, patience and compassion in myself.

I am so glad to know that you are noticing some improvements in your health.

Thank you so much for keeping me on your blog email list.

Love,

Katherine

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily, wow, you really are a wonderful writer! I know that must have been some tough thoughts to share with everyone. I related a lot to what you've said as this year marks my 10th anniversary. I'm not sure of the exact day - but maybe that is a good thing ;p Realizing just how much time has gone by has also made me think about things more...and it can be really tough not to compare yourself to friends. While illness can bring with it opportunity for growth it is definitely not an easy path to have in life.

Anyways, I appreciated reading your thoughts, and I really liked that first prayer you posted :) Thanks for adding me to the update list!
Pam

Marjie said...

I love the prayer in the beginning of this post. It's so beautiful.

I've been reading a lot of your earlier entries, and it's amazing to read how far you've come since then and what a struggle you're still going through. I wish I could find the words, but I really can't. You are so brave and do this all with such dignity. I'd love a post (or maybe you can tell me sometime) when you were 22 and first become sick - what that was like and how you knew.

Can't wait to see you this week! Love,
Marjie