FAQs

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Celebration of Life: Spahhhhhh

Jenny, Me, Barb, Jeannine and Andrea


So, you could say that I REALLY celebrated LIFE this year. I topped off my birthday celebrating on Sunday of last week. Mom says I have done so much celebrating this year that I won't need to celebrate my 40th. Ha!

Last year I had a  Celebration of Life party with a group of women friends. It was so much fun that I decided to have another birthday/celebration of life party--this time at my favorite spa, where I go for massages on a regular basis from amazing therapists who have helped me so much on my healing journey.


Barb, Jennifer, Me, Marjie, Jeannine and Jenny


I seemed to pick an exceptionally busy Fall weekend so many people could not make it, but those of us who did had a fantastic time!


Birthday Girl Wearing My New Necklace From My Friend Emily That Says:
Love Much, Live Well, Laugh Often
Such a Good Reminder!


I wanted to do something fun and something that was unimaginable in years past. 


Gluten-Free Goodies: Oatmeal Toffee Cookies, Brownie Bites, Pumpkin Snickerdoodles


Mom and I made lots of goodies in preparation for the event!


Couldn't Resist Having This At the Party!


And she found some fun stuff at the grocery!


Cookies, Pop Chips, Nuts, Candy Corn, Mary's Gone Crackers, Veggies, Goat Chèvre and Lox Spread, Tea


We had quite the spread--


Wine and Candy Corn?


including a touch of Halloween cheer,


Pretzels, Sexy Pop, Cookies and Wine!


wine, 



Love This Tea!


and tea.


The Spa Decor


We spent the afternoon together talking, eating and getting whatever services we had chosen--facials, manicures, massages, etc. 

I wanted something different from a massage, something that wouldn't make me sick, and something that I would never treat myself to otherwise. Pedicures sound awesome, but since I need to have compression hose on when sitting up, I chose to try the Pinot Noir Body Polish with a 30 minute massage. Serious pampering for the skin!


Marjie Drinking Her Sleepytime Tea


Marjie, a two-time cancer survivor,  is a big encourager when it comes to taking care of ourselves and celebrating life. We high five to CELEBRATING LIFE!

Marjie loves to take pictures as much as I do, and I am so thankful she took all of these pics during the party so that I didn't have to think about it!


Tea Time


While I was receiving my Pinot Noir Polish and massage, someone mentioned to the group that I seemed to like to create a village and community. I am not sure who said this, but Jeannine later told me about the conversation. 

Jeannine was asked if I had always been this way and she said: "Yes, this is what Emily loves to do. She has always been like this."



Growing In Friendship


I was so moved by this comment and conversation that people had while I was not in the room. It's an interesting comment given that I titled last year's blog about my Celebration of Life Party "Creating Community".


Being Goofy!


I really, really, really love creating connections, nourishing relationships, and fostering community. I love to create community--with small groups, with neighbors, with friends, with book group--and I love to be a part of our larger community by supporting local farmers, buying from local businesses, attending local events, and supporting our local charities. It's the first thing I want to do more of when I have increased energy: connect, connect, connect, support, support, support, engage, engage, engage, love, love, love.

Hearing that others notice this in me and that it fills them up as well meant so much to me.


Meet Jenny! My AMAZING Pharmacist Who Is Now My Friend Too! She Rocks! Super Fun to Be Together in a Social Setting Finally!


Everyone really seemed to enjoy taking time out on a Sunday afternoon from 1:00 to 4:30 to pamper themselves. 

And when I went to pay, I got a seriously shocking surprise: my bill had been taken care of and I have NO idea how this was done or who did it. I suspect it might have been the spa owner, but I really have no idea. I certainly had no expectation of having others pay for my services when I scheduled the party--it was gift enough for others to give their time for the afternoon together and spend money on their services.

My first reaction to hearing the news that the bill was paid for was to protest. Thankfully, Jeannine was there to say: "Emily, accept the mitzvah." :)

Whomever gifted this to me: Thank You from the bottom of my heart.


Jenny, Me, Marjie, Barb, Andrea and Jeannine
(Jennifer Had Darted Off To Her Daughter's Soccer Game)


We had such a lovely time! What a wonderful Celebration of LIFE! 

Thank you Jenny, Jennifer, Jeannine, Marjie, Andrea and Barb for sharing in my celebration! 

Anyone ready to Spahhhh again?!

Blessings,

Emily



No comments: