FAQs

Friday, July 06, 2007

Up, Up and Away!


Time again to increase my Lyme medications--the focus being on increasing the minocycline (antibiotic).

Since April of 2006 I've made it from one teeny tiny 50 mg pill per week to two days on/one day off/two days on/one day off, etc.

I'm now going for 3 on/1 off/2 on/1 off/2 on/3 on/1 off/2 on/1 off/2 on/ 1 off/3 on, etc. (Oh what a joy this is for my mom, who has to fill my pill packs!)

So, I've just done round one of three days in a row and am herxing miserably. I don't know why those three days in a row knock me out so badly! (To put this in perspective, if you had a sinus infection you might take 2-3 of these pills per day without problem. I'm taking ONE pill 5x/week. Within a year and a half I've taken fewer pills than a teenager with acne might!)

I tried my best to watch the fireworks on TV through my foggy brain, but I don't think I really took in much of the display (which is supposed to be one of the best in the country). I think the fourth of July has been pretty much a disaster every year since I've been sick!

So, it's 165 minos down and ????? to go.

It's up with the mino, and perhaps 'away with me' for a bit, as I hang out in my tortoise shell.

So, if I'm more quiet than usual...it's because I'm focusing on this latest increase in antibiotics.

When I told my friend, Jeannine, that I often hold off increasing my meds because I'm afraid it will make me unavailable to my friends when/if they need me for something...she gave me the what for! So, I'm working harder to focus on treatment and praying that you'll all still be there when I emerge from each round.

I'm making progress slowly but surely. Each time I increase and get through the herx, I feel stronger than I did before. So, I'm trying to say 'Bring it on! This is my way out of this shell eventually!' (So much easier said than done, especially when I'm whining about how badly I feel! haha!)

So, up I go with the mino.
Away into my tortoise shell.
Hopefully to emerge stronger than before.

Blessings,

Emily
Photo: Well, I can't stand a blog entry anymore without a photo, so I'm adding this one a bit late. Today (July 20th) the clouds were perfect against the background of a clear blue sky and the green of the trees. This photo makes me think of flying up, up, up and away to better things.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Your blog just blows me away. It also reminds me how terrible I am at staying connected even though I am so often thinking of you and how you are feeling. I guess it's easier to rely on Nutty for updates and progress :(

Here's a big, sweaty hug from Texas!!

P.S. - Congratulations to your Mom!!

Anonymous said...

Hopefully heading in the right direction although it's the pits to feel yucky so often. Mom

Melanie said...

Hang in there with it girl! I can promise I will still be here each time you venture out of the shell. The Herxing is hard - but each time you make it through I see more of the real dancing light shining... so keep at ... one tiny step at a time.

xox,
Melanie

Anonymous said...

I'll be here for you too! You've been upping the meds a lot lately and I'm amazed by your courage-- keep fighting!! :)
love,
kristen

Anonymous said...

Emily--I am glad to hear about your progress. BTW, you look beautiful in your recent photos--there's a glow there I haven't seen for a couple of years in your pictures.

Love,

Katherine

Corina said...

congratulations to emily's mom!!!!! i realy felt impressed, reading what you wrote about her retirement emily! hope you are doing as well as you can and enjoy more time with your mom (reading/listening to a book, enjoying a great movie and take the rest both of you need/want!!!

love,
corina :)

btw em, you must have seen me jumping up and down my chair!!!! i really love how you did this blog thing. i very much admire your computer skills (will write to melanie myself one day . . . :p

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily, You're making progress!! That's so wonderful! I know the herxing is tough, just wanted to say hang in there. Hopefully each day is going to get a little easier for you.

Take care of yourself,
Pam

Anonymous said...

I do love this new method- thank you for being high tech (for thsoe of us who are not:-)..). It was very easy to sign on so that I'll get all the updates. Have you heard of carepages.com? Another friend of mine has a blog site on carepages- same concept, but I like how your website is all your own. You look so beautiful in all the pictures:-)!
Love, Sus