FAQs

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Dr. Complex Follow-Up Appointment

New Slippers. I think these are like wearing a smile on my feet!
 And since today was a pajama day, I thought this was a fitting photo.


Mom and I just returned from my second visit with Dr. Complex. We drove down Sunday afternoon, hung out in the hotel, went to the appointment early Monday morning, and then headed straight home. We had great weather for travel. Mom was able to take me this time, so she got to meet Dr. Complex, which means now both Dad and Mom have been able to meet him. I did really well overall, as far as getting through the trip. In some ways I felt well enough to enjoy getting away and being in a place free of my piles and to-do lists! We even stopped at a Starbucks (my first time ever at one) on the way home for some tea and lunch.

We have started staying in hotels geared towards business travelers that have a partial kitchen, table and chairs, living area, separate sleeping area, and bathroom. This gives us each a sleeping space (I am spoiled and always get the bedroom with the king size bed and Mom or Dad sleeps in the living area) so that we can get the rest we need. It makes the trip a little bit more like a 'vacation' if that is possible. The suite at the hotel we stayed at this time was HUGE!

I had a very good appointment with Dr. Complex. He is very focused during the appointment, gives you an hour of his undivided attention, listens well, answers questions, explains the tests he has done, and sends you home with a very clear and focused plan to follow. I have been making a lot of 'calls' on my own when it comes to medical decisions, so I really like having someone create so much structure. Since my first appointment with him, I have also had phone consults to make changes and tweak things along the way.

He continues to focus on rebuilding and supporting the entire body--dealing with the collateral damage that has happened from so many years of the disease itself and from the antibiotic treatment. At the same time, we will continue trying to treat the underlying infections with different antibiotics. 

This week, I will start by adding in high doses of Vitamin D (my levels are very low, and this is very common in Lyme disease) and B12. 

The new year has been off to a bit of a rough start.  Right after the holiday I started a new antibiotic, but it caused too great of a herx, so we will back off and start again more slowly after I introduce some other things. I also (not so smartly) scheduled five doctors appointments in two weeks, so I am looking forward to the last one tomorrow (cardiology)!  Hopefully I can find a better balance soon.

I'm still processing the appointment (it was a lot to take in!) and will hopefully be able to blog in more detail (or in bits and pieces) after I finish up this round of appointments and have time to process it all. It takes so much physical and emotional energy to gear up for the appointment. 

Just wanted to check in post-staycation. I know I'm not alone in not wanting to be back at work!

Blessings,

Emily

2 comments:

alia said...

Hello! Good to hear about your trip/appointment. Now I'm kind of curious about vitamin d. I know it gets put into milk, so I've never considered needing extra...

catier said...

I have heard and read more and more about vit d dificiencies in people across the board. vit d3 is better absorbed by the body. I have heard that we should take 3000 - 5000 IU a day (well over what they thought was enough).
anyway, so good to hear docs like dr complex exist! he sounds fantastic! and so glad to hear you had a nice trip:).