FAQs

Monday, December 27, 2010

Kate: Another Great Holiday Visit

Me and Kate. I am so glad I got my hair cut before all of these photo shoots! :)


Today, I had the blessing of seeing another one of my long time friends. After Mom's heart attack Kate reached out and made an extra effort to visit while she was home visiting her parents for the holidays. Kate also wanted to see Mom in the flesh...and give her a little lecture on not giving us any more scares! :) This is good because we all listen to "Take care of yourself" a LOT better from other sources than our immediate family! Ha!


As I speak of often, I struggle a great deal with loneliness. I'm mostly homebound, and often too tired to have visitors, talk on the phone, etc. I pay such a big price physically for the visits and outings that I do have. It feels good to put on 'real clothes' and make-up for a visitor, but it wears me out. Kate said she doesn't care what I look like or what I'm wearing (she doesn't, I know), but it feels good to try to be a little bit 'normal' and 'look healthy' for a couple of hours. By the time I get dressed and put make-up on, I'm pooped, so I see why I don't do that every day yet!


Today, I was reminded again how blessed I am to have friends who I have known and loved for such a very long time. I'm amazed at how we have grown from meeting as girls in seventh grade to women in our mid-thirties who still share such a deep connection. It is so easy to be with Kate and I love how she knows how to make herself right at home!.


Kate and I mostly fell out of touch for a few years during and after college, so it's been great to get reconnected. 


This holiday, I didn't reach out to folks much to see who was going to be in town because I just didn't know how much visiting I might be up to. I had a strong urge to try to get a larger number of our group of girls together all at the same time, but that was just too much to take on this year.  I stink at 'surrendering to whatever may be', but I did this break, and it ended up working out better than I could have ever expected. 


My heart and soul feel so full from my visits with Ang and Kate. Somehow, when I struggle with loneliness, I need to find a way to hold onto the faith that my friends are never far away in spirit.


Now, after my doctor's appointment tomorrow, I think I need a couple of Pajama Days! :)


I love you both!


Blessings,


Emily

1 comment:

M.S. said...

I love reading about all your visitors and seeing them too. It feels like I get a visit too! Thanks for all the updates!