FAQs

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Reconnecting 20 Years Later: Kelly



Me, a Ladybug, and Kelly

One of the best parts of the year was that I got to say 'Yes!' a lot more than I had to say 'No' to visitors. For me, that's the equivalent of being able to say 'Yes!' to life.

In addition, one of the many blessings of being a townie is that people come back to visit. Even if they don't come frequently, something often brings them 'home'. 


Kelly, Marley and Seth

One of those visitors this May was my fellow marching band (yes, I was the ultimate band geek) buddy and lunch time buddy, Kelly. She and I hung out eating lunch together almost every day of my senior year of high school and her junior year. That year I was president of marching band. She came up to me at the end of the season, burst out in a big smile, gave me a big hug and said: "Next year, I want to be you!" :)

She doesn't remember saying it, but I remember hearing it.


Me, Marley, and Kelly

We've been in touch some via Facebook and texting, and this summer we saw each other for the first time since high school. I also met her wonderful husband, Seth, who is a sociologist (and thinks my dad is famous:)), and their son Marley.

Kelly lives on the opposite side of the country now. And we've been in touch only sporadically over the past 20 years. But getting together felt as if we had just seen each other yesterday. We could have talked and talked and talked! 

Each time we reach out to someone we haven't seen for a long time, we take a little risk that we won't connect or we won't enjoy the visit. I'm so grateful Kelly reached out and we took a chance on seeing if we still felt connected all of these years later, because it was a joy to see her and meet her family.

Blessings,

Emily


1 comment:

Beth said...

So lovely to see you both! We band geeks sure had a good time, didn't we? Anchors Aweigh 4ever. xo