FAQs

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

For My Nephew David...

I started knitting this baby afghan soon after I found out that Carrie was pregnant and that I was going to be Aunt Emily to her baby. Now he's almost seven months old and I JUST finished the blanket in time for their visit this week.

I had intended, of course, to finish the blanket in time for his birth! Oh well! Thankfully it's knitted in colors even a toddler will enjoy. And I'll admit I've been knitting fairly frantically over the past couple of weeks, determined to finish this blanket!

This is certainly the biggest knitting project I have taken on so far.  It's also one of the few tangible products I've created in a very long time. It feels very good and gives me sense of accomplishment I haven't felt in a long time.

Thanks to Anne and Alexandra, I received all of the help I needed to make this project possible. Anne shopped for the yarn. She made an executive decision that I was going to make a rainbow. Miss Alexandra chipped in with her opinions on color. That little girl has an amazing eye for color and design. Scott even bought me an extra long cord to use with my circular knitting needles. And hats off to Mom who rolled all of the skeins of yarn for me (Why do they have so many tangles in them?!).

Anne taught me a knew stitch, called Brioche Rib, which creates a fuller and softer texture to the blanket. It makes it warmer too, which is perfect for the kind of winter we are having.

I'll also admit that Anne had to 'rescue' me quite a number of times--tearing out rows, fixing my mistakes, and teaching me what to do. I'm not quite sure she knew what she was getting into when she offered to help with this project!





I'm really excited to give it to David when he arrives.  Carrie says he loves anything soft and cuddly. (This blog will go out after they are here, but I'm writing it before they arrive). 

It feels good to finish a project and to make something to give to someone else. It feels good to create something. 

I realize I'm bragging a little bit...I have been making my Mom, Dad, Abbie and Jeannine all admire it. Thank you for letting me share with all of you!

I really do wish that I could knit baby blankets for all of my friend's babies, but I'm just not quite speedy or energetic enough yet! 

Now, what shall I start on next?

I'm not sure I'm ready for another big project quite yet. Maybe something smaller...Hmmmm....

Maybe a scarf for Monsieur Le Poof (one of the many nicknames Anne and Alexandra have given Asher Dasher)?

Blessings and may David enjoy his 'blankie' for many years! (I had my blankie forever!),

Emily

Photos:  David's baby afghan


2 comments:

QAMom said...

It's beautiful. What yarn did you use? Is it one strand or two?

You could knit Asher a sweater or booties next, or a toy.
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/pets.php

Or you could make something for you, like a shrug.

Caroline

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful baby blanket! It will be treasured.