FAQs

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Yes We Can, Yes We Did, Yes We WILL...

I could write a lot about politics. I could write a lot about how incredible yesterday was...but I need to rest up for my company. Still, I couldn't go without writing SOMETHING about the day that was the inauguration of President Barack Obama. Plus, pretty much everything has been said. What an amazing, amazing, amazing day.  If you weren't moved by the sea of people on the mall, by the history that we were able to watch being made, by the peaceful transition of power, and by the resilient nation that we truly are...I dare say you missed out.

Throughout President Obama's candidacy, I just wasn't sure I could believe in his concept of change. Every argument against why he should not or could not be president was also on my conscience. What, as they say in Buddhism, was this man's 'underneath'? What could he really do other than deliver poetic speeches full of soaring rhetoric? Where was his experience and readiness to be president?

Change we could believe in? I was pretty sure it was Change I could NOT believe in.

I was pretty sure 'No we can't' was more like it.

After President Obama was elected, I watched him carefully, I listened carefully, and I waited to see who this man really was. And what he meant by change we could believe in.

Just as his daughters earned their puppy, President Obama has earned my respect, my appreciation, my gratitude, my blessings. He has not wasted one moment in preparing for the presidency, putting his nose the grindstone immediately, and showing us all that he understands clearly and deeply the weight of his duty.

He has made me believe not only that we can and that we did, but that we WILL find our way as a nation and as individuals.

Not to sound too cheesy, but I'm truly inspired. I'm inspired by the president himself, and I'm inspired by the historic implications of electing Barack Hussein Obama as president of our country.

As he spoke yesterday, I believed him when he said we chose hope over fear. I believe that this it what we can and must do every day--as a nation and as individuals. I believe that this is one of the hardest and most difficult decisions to make each day. I know that I don't succeed at it every day either.

I believed him when he said we are all created equal. I have always believed this. But when he said it yesterday, it had a new truth to it. And in a strange moment, I suddenly realized that he wasn't just talking about race, he was talking about all of us and to all of us. He was talking to people like me, too--people with disabilities. I forgot I was equal too, while all along believing that he was equal. I know it sounds very strange, but that was a very personal moment for me yesterday.

After President Obama was elected, Gloria Steinam discussed what this 'change' really meant. She said she felt as if she had gotten her future back. She went on to say that the Kennedy and the Clintons had always been inclusive, but the election of Barack Obama is the thing itself. He is the change.

I've loved watching President Obama choose his staff and cabinet--full of brilliant people who just happen to come from many, many diverse backgrounds. Usually, choosing a diverse group of people seems forced.  With President Obama it seems like picking the best people for the job, not choosing who will fill a certain gap in gender or race.

The inauguration was the culmination of something so big I'm not sure I'll completely grasp it until years from now. What I do know is that I shed tears of joy and felt renewed hope in America. I also shed tears for those who sacrificed to give us what we have in America today. I shed tears for the very difficult tasks we have ahead of us--as a nation and as individuals.

After spending the entire political campaign season as a supporter of Hillary Clinton, I needed President-elect Obama to earn my respect, my trust, and my confidence in him.

And he did.

President Obama has a way of inspiring us as a nation. He also has a way of inspiring me as an individual. I know I am not alone in feeling this. He makes me want to be a better person. And he makes me want America to be better. It's been so hard to believe any of this could happen again with President Bush in office. I enjoyed waving goodbye at the television when Bush took off in the helicopter! Ah, the end of an error.

I love saying President Obama. I love that as he says of himself--this tall, skinny black man with big ears and a funny name--is now our president. 

I am convinced that he is the right man for this job at this time. I believe that America made the right decision. 

I believe that we WILL. 

And can I hear an Amen? And get a thumbs up from Sasha?

Blessings to the entire Obama family as we embark on this journey with them,

Emily

Photos:  Thanks to Melissa for the Obama memorabilia! I wore one of the stickers for the inauguration.

No comments: