FAQs

Saturday, September 16, 2017

Photo Shoot and Article with Dr. Rowe!


My Favorite Pic!
I have some super fun and happy news to share.

While I was wintering at the beach, I left a lot of space open to see where my heart would lead me next. I tried not to fill every moment of my time or to plan 'what I would do next.' 

One day in March I received a phone call from Alicia in the Development office at Hopkins, who I worked with on my previous birthday campaign:

"How would you like to come down to Hopkins for a photo shoot with Dr. Rowe, be interviewed, and be part of a feature on him in the summer issue of the Hopkins Children's Magazine?"

Um...

No need to pause here.

YES. YES. YES!

What I always say is this: anything for Dr. Rowe.

The truth is that most of his patients feel the same way. Most of us found our way to him when no other doctor could or would figure out how to treat our complex cases.


Alicia and Me.
I Love Working with Her!

Mom and I barely unpacked at all from the beach before we turned around for a trip to Hopkins. 

In December, I had met with Alicia and Amanda (who is also part of Hopkins Development), and we discussed ways to help Dr. Rowe's clinic and the goals for it.

This one man show needs someone who wants to follow in his footsteps, who wants to deal with complex and complicated cases, and who can train with Dr. Rowe. Staff beyond Dr. Rowe himself plus funding for research are desperately needed too.

For the first time since I became his patient 13 years ago, I'm increasingly in a place physically to actually help with achieving these goals.


We Are Supposed to Be Doing an Eval and PT stretches.
We are Actually Probably Cracking Jokes.

I was super nervous about the photo shoot. What should I wear?!

I tried on a zillion outfits, took photos, texted with friends, and FaceTimed with Angela so that we could figure out which outfit would be the best choice. 

I told Dr. Rowe to pick out a nice tie. :) Since his outfit choice is typically a 'game day decision, usually made in the dark' this was asking a lot. :) 


Seriously.
He Looks Like He is Proposing to Me Here.
This One Makes Me Laugh.


What I hope you can see from the photos is Dr. Rowe's warmth, humility, humor, and commitment to his patients.

The photo shoot was silly and fun, with Dr. Rowe cracking his goofy jokes.

Alicia: "Show us what you've got Dr. Rowe!"

Oh. My.

Don't egg this guy on!

(I won't even repeat the silliness that evolved as the photo shoot went on...)


He Did a Good Job Picking His Tie.
Oh, Wait, His Wife Picked It! :)


After lunch with Alicia and the photo shoot I had a two hour appointment with Dr. Rowe to re-group and change direction from when I had been there in December. I wanted to focus on getting back on a routine towards more healing, rather than any focus on preparing my body for pregnancy.

It was an incredibly worthwhile and rewarding trip that lead to even more opportunities
to work with Hopkins and Dr. Rowe.

I'm thrilled with the photos we got and very pleased with the article.

They capture Dr. Rowe and I hope they serve as a springboard for more opportunities to raise awareness about his work, the illnesses he treats, and the need for more research and practitioners.

I feel so incredibly honored and humbled that I had this opportunity to work with Hopkins on this article, to hang out with Dr. Rowe outside of the clinic setting, and to find myself planted firmly where I needed to be as I searched for new meaning and direction in my life.

My heart is with Hopkins.

My heart is with the doctor who gives me hope that so many patients with these illnesses do not have.

I was over the moon when Alicia asked me to come down for a photo shoot.

I hope you enjoy the pictures!

Here is the link to the final article!!!!

(If, over the past three years of my birthday campaigns you have donated, you should have received an article or magazine from me in the mail. If you did not, please let me know if you would like a hard copy. I apologize if ANYONE was missed--it was certainly not intentional.)

Enjoy.

And, Happy Birthday Dr. Rowe. If anyone deserves a good one, it's you.

If you'd like to honor Dr. Rowe on his birthday, consider contributing here today. Click on the Rowe's  Research Runners Roster and donate to any team member, including  Dr. Rowe or his wife, Carla and myself.

Blessings,

Emily

1 comment:

Rachel Lundy said...

LOVE THIS! Thanks for sharing the pictures and the article. I'm so glad you have Dr. Rowe, and I am so thankful for the work you do to raise awareness and much-needed funds for research.