FAQs

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Engaging and Participating vs. Supervising and Observing + Jennifer and Allison

Allison Learns How To Use Cookie Cutters


One of my very favorite parts of my 'new life' is the feeling of being more actively engaged and participating in life's activities--big and small--rather than always 'supervising' or 'observing'.


Allison and Jennifer Roll Out The Dough


It's so fun to explore this 'new life' with my friends who have been part of this journey during some of my most trying times.

I met Jennifer when I was still very sick, and she has learned to accommodate easily and comfortably to my needs--usually coming over to my house for lunch or tea and a quiet talk.


Lots Of Sprinkles!


Now, we're exploring more activities together and I love that she is willing to make different and new accommodations based on my needs now.


A Little Sprinkle Happy


Over the holiday break, I went over to Jennifer's house to make holiday cookies with her daughter Allison. When I found out that Jennifer and Allison had NEVER made cut-out sugar cookies with loads of sprinkles, I knew this situation had to be remedied STAT. 

Jennifer did the 'hard labor' of making the dough ahead of time, rolling it out while I was there, putting the trays in and out of the oven, while Allison and I cut out cookies and topped them with a LOT of sprinkles. 

It was so fun to spend an afternoon together with Jennifer AND her daughter.


The Sugar Is Catching Up With Allison!


Jennifer and I have stayed committed to trying to get together one Tuesday a month (her day off). The consistency of this has helped us to continue to grow in our friendship with each other, and I am so appreciative of her calming presence, her perspective, her wisdom, her compassion and her listening ear. 


February Get-Together (Tovah and Gershwin Love Their Vet!)


We didn't snap a photo this past Tuesday when we got together, but we had a BIG afternoon:

1. Leisurely lunch out. (I have gone out to eat more in the past few months than in the past 17 years combined! I could probably count on one hand the times we were able to eat out in the past 17 years.)

2. A quick trip to Ulta. Jennifer pushed me in the Rolls, which was a big milestone for me to let her do that. She had never been to Ulta--so I introduced her to what totally overwhelmed her! I found hair goodies.

3. Stopping back at my house to try on the dresses I bought recently to see which ones she liked best.

It was a true 'girls afternoon'. I just can't believe this is MY life and I can engage in these activities now. 

Thanks for the much-needed girl time, Jennifer!

Blessings,

Emily 


No comments: