FAQs

Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Sassy

My new 'do.

It is always big excitement around here when I get a haircut. Shannon, my hairdresser, talked to me about what I wanted to do with my hair. I really like having short hair, but a part of me would like to have longer hair to cover the Lidoderm patch I wear on the back of my neck. During the summer months, the patch is very visible and can make me a bit self-conscious. Right now though, I really don't have the energy for what it would take to make long hair look good.  Shannon is great at tuning into my energy level and what I can do each day with my hair (spritz with water, apply product if I'm lucky).


Shannon is also a young woman with chronic illness, so our time together is always one of understanding and compassion for one another. She, too, has a lot of dietary restrictions. Today, we spent the whole hour talking about all of the foods we miss eating! I rarely talk about all of the foods I can and cannot eat, or what I really miss, or how it places a lot of restrictions on my life. It was so validating to talk to another person who just wishes she could eat a piece of real pizza, have a glass of wine, a piece of bread, a bowl of ice cream, a cupcake, or a piece of cheese.


When we finished our discussion about my hair needs I asked her what she was going to do with my hair. All she would tell me was: "I'm going to do something sassy." And this is the result. I love it! Now, I just hope I can replicate it myself. I love how she just makes the decision for me as to how she is going to style my hair.


I have also learned from the expert herself that the 'in color' this season is 'golden'. She has clients coming in and asking to have their hair dyed the color of my hair. So, I guess I am going to embrace this darkening hair of mine. At least for this season!


I am having more 'Pajama-free' days so now I'm ready to get some cute clothes to match my cute haircut. Attention Shoppers!: I am all ready for your shopping tips and advice! :)


How do you think Mom did with the head shots?


I don't know how it got to be March without me publishing a blog, but for the most part my silence has been because of some good things going on. The good things, though, leave me too tired at the end of the day to blog or email. I also need to schedule in a lot of time to recuperate. Since I last blogged, we have made another trip to see Dr. Complex for a great and helpful appointment. Yesterday, I was able to go with Mom to take Asher to the vet. I have not been able to go with the two of them to the vet since Asher was a puppy (at least 7 years now). I was so happy to go along to help take care of Mr. Fuzz (he is quite the medically needy dog himself) and just do an every day activity that I haven't been able to do in so long. We were there for an hour and a half, and I sat up the whole time!


After these two big outings, I am ready for a rest day tomorrow and my weekly massage at home on Friday. I'm not complaining about being tired because the outings were worth it, but I need a bit of recuperation time!


Blessings, 


Sassy Emily (I was this as a teenager, for sure)

3 comments:

Ellen said...

I relate, as well. I have to be on a very low sodium, low carbohydrate diet to help control my own symptoms. Although I've lived with that for a long time and should be used to it, sometimes I still wish eating could be easy and effortless and I miss eating whatever I want... and just indulging sometimes...

:-/

Susannah P. said...

I love your gorgeous haircut, Emily!! You look beauitful (as always), but it's fun, I'm sure, to have a new hair do:-)

magpie said...

SASSY!
I love it. Tell Shannon she does good work. And your mom's an excellent photographer :-)
I wish I could help with the food dilemmas (dilemmae?) Creativity in the kitchen can be exhausting if it's a constant, and convenience foods are hard to come by when you're so restricted. If you send me a list of what you can/can't eat, I'd be happy to help re-write or experiment with recipes to provide inspiration. Your mom must be a fabulous cook!
As for shopping, from what I remember and from your current photos, you've got FABULOUS legs - which is both a blessing and a curse, especially if you're sitting down a lot. Are you wanting to try on most things first, or would you be comfortable with some catalogue/online shopping as well? I could totally see you in something like this from J. Jill - soft, comfortable, yet elegant, in a great color: http://www.jjill.com/jjillonline/prodnav/outfit.aspx?outfit=183&PFID=928&sk=N&h=M