FAQs

Friday, July 04, 2008

The Fireworks!


And here are the fireworks! (I had a little bit of a challenge capturing them with my camera as I had no idea there was a special 'fireworks' setting until that night! I also ran out of space on my memory card before the finale! Oh well.)


The fireworks are synchronized to music (super cool) and are said to be one of the top ten displays in the country.


During recent years, we have just watched the fireworks on television. The last time I actually went up to the main site to see the fireworks was 10 years ago. I remember that time so vividly--as I was so sick, I was gasping for air the whole time, I could not walk from the car without resting, and we had no idea why or what was happening to me. It was a miserable experience. And, many other fourths since then have been spent with emergencies like beta-blocker withdrawals and other not-so-pleasant memories.

I have been able to see the fireworks a couple of years from other sites around town, but this year was extra special because we had a PERFECT view and were right in the midst of all of the action.


The fireworks are pretty spectacular even on TV, but they were extra-spectacular in person. Plus, I have to say, what a way to start off this decade of illness with a special happy occasion. Finally, a fourth of July that was filled with absolute joy and triumph.


As I sat and watched the fireworks I just kept smiling to myself as I was so happy to be there. I even called Jeannine and Dad from my cell phone and said, "Guess where I am?" Later that night, Jeannine called and said, "Congratulations!" She 'gets' this illness so deeply. I said to my mom, "I'm just so happy." She says it's easy to make me happy. :)


So, you might be wondering how we even made this outing with my big yellow chair and my limited walking energy. At the last minute, I decided I really wanted to go to the fireworks. I discovered that we could purchase a VIP pass for $20 and have access to a lot close to the fireworks. We were able to zip up to the site in 10 minutes, park right near where we sat, and zip out of the fireworks and be home in under 20 minutes! Without the parking pass we would not have been able to do this outing because of all of the walking and traffic involved. It was worth every penny for a night out! The biggest challenge? No where to get to a nearby potty! Please get me a new bladder!



The top picture is of my favorite kind of fireworks. The one right above here is of the ground fireworks which are lots of fun too! And the rest are just because I couldn't resist posting lots of pictures from this outing!



I felt pretty crappy the following two days after we went to the fireworks, but while we were there, I felt really well. I was amazed. The next day, when I was feeling yucky, Mom said, "Was it worth it?" And I said, "Yes, definitely." It was. Still, I did feel a tinge of sadness that I had to pay a price for the outing. I await the day that there will not be a consequence to joy.


Blessings and hope you had a good fourth (a little belated!),


Emily

Posted by Picasa

No comments: