FAQs

Sunday, September 07, 2014

Our Labor Day Weekend (Part II): Mini-Picnic



My Favorite Person In The Whole World

Mom and I had really hoped to have our 3rd Annual Labor Day Picnic this year, but we both found ourselves too overwhelmed to take on a big picnic. Mom is still in the midst of remodeling and I'm still feeling run down after the reunion. Since most ALL of the work of an event falls on Mom, we agreed she needed a break.

We do apologize to our neighbors who we didn't get to include this year, and hope that we will have a gathering of some other type at a later date.


Tovah Hangs Out With Her Favorite Vet


Jennifer, who has become my closest friend here besides Jeannine, texted me to say: "Hey, we're free all weekend, are you and your mom sure you don't want to do something?"

I said: "Well, what if it's really low key?"

She said: "Low key is always good with us!"

So, we had a low-key picnic with Jennifer, her husband, Mark, her daughter, Allison, their dog, Virginia, and Jeannine. We get along so well and easily as a group.


Our Wonderful Food


Mom made us a wonderful spread of local meat, cheese and produce--sloppy Joe's with free-range ground turkey; green bean salad; tomato, cucumber, goat feta and olive salad; melon; and not-so-local chips and grapes. And yes, this is Mom's idea of a simple spread. Ha!

For dessert we had GF ice cream cones (we recommend the Let's Do brand sugar cones), with local goat's milk ice cream in either butter pecan or black raspberry. Allison couldn't wait for the ice cream cones! 



Fresh Flowers From The Market

While almost the entire summer has been cool, Labor Day itself was hot and muggy and then rainy--so we ended up spending the afternoon inside.


Mom, Gershwin, Virginia and Mark Opt Out of Playing With Play-Dough

Poor Mark was our token male. 


Play-Dough is Very Therapeutic!


We enjoyed a session of play-dough time.


Virginia Liked Asher and Gershwin's Favorite Toy


Virginia seemed to like our selection of toys.


Mommy and Daughter


Jennifer and I are determined to spend time together just the two of us, but to also spend time with Allison so that I can be a part of Allison's life. Allison is one precocious, adorable, funny, fun four year old and I can't wait to see her again!

It's also quite convenient to have our vet as a close friend. Jennifer gave Tovah's eye a quick check and gave her the bill of health.


Little Feet. So Sweet.

When I showed Allison my red, blue and silver sparkle fingernails, she asked if I would paint her nails too. Would I?! Heck yes! I was in heaven!


G Had to Join the Pic


We tried to get a pic of the three of us, but someone has their eyes closed in each of the pics. Guess that means I'll just have to see Allison again soon.


Allison: Captivated By Jeannine's Narration!

While Allison's toenails dried, she settled in for read aloud with both Jeannine and Mom. 

We had fun talking, playing, eating and just hanging out together. 

I'm so very thankful Jennifer gave us that little noodge, encouraging us to spend some time together over the holiday weekend--I think the time together was just what we all needed.

I wish every weekend could be a holiday weekend.

Blessings,

Emily



1 comment:

Rachel Lundy said...

I'm glad you had a good weekend with friends. And I just love the fact that you painted Allison's toenails! So fun!