FAQs

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Dysautonomia Awareness Month: What Is Dysautonomia?





On the tails of Invisible Illness Awareness Week comes Dysautonomia Awareness Month. The month coincides with Breast Cancer Awareness Month, which gets much more attention and has many more outlets for awareness (which is A-MAZING for my sweet friends surviving this disease).

So, I am here to do my small part this month in raising awareness of Dysautonomia. I'm here to say that I am committed to increasing my level of work as my physical well-being allows.

I'd like to start out the month with a reminder of what dysautnomia is:


Dysautonomia literally means dysregulation of the autonomic nervous system. The autonomic nervous system is the master regulator of organ function throughout the body. It is involved in the control of heart rate, blood pressure, temperature, respiration, digestion and other vital functions. Dysregulation of the autonomic nervous system can produce the apparent malfunction of the organs it regulates. For this reason, dysautonomia patients often present with numerous, seemingly unrelated maladies.


Blessings,

Emily




No comments: