FAQs

Sunday, March 17, 2013

What's in a Name?

Tovah Rose Freshly Groomed and Always Ready for a Photo Op

Tovah Rose

When preparing to name Tovah I immersed myself in the Jewish baby name books, made my little list in Evernote, and asked close friends for their opinions. I take naming seriously! :) Jeannine teased me that it would be difficult to come up with a name as meaningful and unique as Asher Noam's ("lucky, blessed, happy" and "sweet friend"). When Tovah arrived, we waited a few days to make a final decision on a name--trying out the six names I had narrowed it down to. 

Before Tovah arrived, I was sure I would pick one of the other six names. I still look at my list and love all of the names and meanings behind them. I won't share them here because I hope someday I might use them for another sweet little girl. 

But the more we said the six names out loud to her and watched her little personality, we decided she was a Tovah. 

Tovah: Hebrew meaning "Good One"

Tovah's middle name came easily. Rose was a common name used by Jewish immigrants in the 20th century (which was when my grandmother's family arrived). Rose was also a sentimental favorite to me because it was the name of my grandmother's favorite sister who died at a young age. One of eight children, my grandmother spoke often with great love of her sister Rose.

Then we had to pick our fancy schmancy AKC name. We wanted it to reflect the place we live and love. 

Marday's Tovah Rose Blossom of the Valley

This name has ended up fitting her perfectly because she is a bit of a delicate little flower sometimes! Her spaying turned into quite a drama with needing extra IV fluids, extra pain meds, and had a suture reaction--all of which are a bit extreme for a routine spay. So, our vet tech calls her 'the delicate little flower'. She's also finely built and tiny.

Because Tovah was so tiny when she first arrived, we could never find where she was (a favorite spot was under the sofa), so Mom put little kitty bells on her collar so we'd always know where she was. One day Mom started calling her Twinkle Toes. And it stuck. The most common nickname for this little one is Twinkle Toes.  A loved one has many names, right?

Our Tovah Rose Twinkle Toes  is definitely one loved little girl.

Blessings,

Emily



No comments: