FAQs

Friday, March 15, 2013

Ready for A Bathroom Made for Me

Original Floor. Oh my!

We have lived in the same house since I was nine months old, and many things are still original to the house when it was first built. We are long overdue for many remodeling projects to make our house more salable, but most importantly more enjoyable and fun for US to live in NOW.

We are not at all sad to see any of the original items in the bathroom GO! I used to spend many days using tracing paper and crayons to make rubbings on the linoleum floor. 

37 year old bathroom.

During my time of transformation last year we made the decision to do several things to make life more manageable and full for me. This included getting the puppies, getting an iPad, and deciding to re-do the bathroom so that it would be one that was more usable for me.



Making it Work, Tim Gunn Style. 


Recently, I've been using one of the kitchen bar stools to sit at the sink to brush my teeth, comb my hair, put on blush, etc. It's completely impractical for what I need. The new bathroom vanity will have a seated area under the sink so that I can easily reach what I need and sit while doing everything! Being able to sit at the sink might even give me the energy to put on a little make-up! :) I used to just get ready as fast as possible while trying to stand at the sink. Using energy for that could leave me worn out for the day. 


We Will So Not Miss This!

Because going shopping is so physically and cognitively exhausting for me, it has taken us over a year to pick out all of the things we need for the bathroom (and we're still finishing up with last minute decisions). Making decisions is exhausting! How does anyone design a WHOLE house?!


Can't Wait for the New Tub!

Our big splurge and what I am super excited about is a new bathtub. Taking baths is one of the ways I help to manage pain and calm my ANS. I also cannot stand to take a shower. The new tub will be deeper, have air bubbles (which are supposed to be very helpful for pain), and a lower shower head so that I can sit in the tub and no longer need Mom to wash my hair. I'm already dreaming about those baths!


Who Thought this was Practical?

We're putting an end to the commotion of the clashing doors. A pocket door will replace the main door, and the closet will have to small doors instead of one big one. I'll easily be able to spin around on my little stool at the sink to reach anything I need in the closet. 



Gotta Love This Counter Top.


We've put off so many projects over the years while we 'lived in waiting' for me to feel better. We finally decided to stop waiting for me to be able to stand at the sink or in the shower. We finally decided to stop waiting for me to feel better to risk the disruption of construction. I know the end product will be so worth it.

Blessings,

Emily

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey-that's MY countertop! Guess our houses we made at the same time...

ITooWasAbused said...

Can't wait to see the after :)

Unknown said...

I remember that bathroom :)