FAQs

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Mother-Daughter Day

Posted by Picasa

Mom took the day off from work today, during which we spent all of my 'awake time' being together. Usually we plan an outing or a couple of hours together, but I haven't ever felt well enough to do more than one little thing in a day. We always eat dinner together and catch up every day, but today was extra-special.

After I woke up and ate lunch we headed to the local farmer's market with "The Rolls". It turned out to be a little warmer outside than I could tolerate, but we were there for about 30 minutes, ran into lots of folks, and took in the sight of lovely fresh flowers, fruits, vegetables and baked goods.

I love being able to go with Mom to the farmers market--something I haven't done in years--and pick out my own goodies (blackberries--just like the ones pictured in the collage!) and talk to Mom's favorite vendors.

In the upper left-hand corner of the collage you'll see two photos--one listing today's available meat items and another with a bearded man. Bill has free-range chicken, veal, beef and pork, all of which is amazing!




We took in the scenery on the way to and from the market. It's only about a ten or fifteen minute drive.



We pass by this farmland a LOT, since it is on the way to the doctor's office!




Mom mixed up batter for gluten-free dairy-free oatmeal raisin-walnut-chocolate chip cookies! I felt well enough after a nap and dinner to roll the cookies out myself! I love to do that and have so missed being able to bake things with mom over the years. Mom tried a new recipe and despite the fact that she accidentally added double the molasses and double the margarine, the cookies are pretty darned good. It is impossible to find really good baked goods in the stores.



We even watched a movie! We've tried to watch a movie a couple of times in the last four years, but I've never been able to enjoy it. Today, we watched half before my nap, and half after our evening walk and my bath. Ratatouille was lots of fun--but I find it funny that the two movies Mom and I have watched this summer were both all about food (Julie and Julia and now Ratatouille)!


During the second half of the movie I enjoyed two of those freshly baked cookies. Yum!


I'm still taking in the fact that we were able to go to the farmers market, watch a movie, bake cookies, and go for our evening walk all in one day. Every little thing makes me giddy with joy--being able to roll the cookies or go to the farmers market or watch a movie.

Thanks for an awesome day of bonding Mom!

It is definitely time to hit the hay...that was a busy, joyful...and exhausting day!

Blessings,

Emily

Photos: Collage: Scenes from the farmer's market, including the person from whom we buy our free-range meats, our favorite vendor for things like potatoes and blueberries, the blackberries we bought, flowers for sale; Farmland near our house on the way to the market; Rolling cooking dough; The movie, Ratatouille.

2 comments:

Katherine said...

That's wonderful! So glad you could enjoy so much in one day!!

SleepingBeauty said...

YAY!! Emily!!!! Im so happy for you! what an exciting day :0)these are the kind of days to truly hold on too....big hugs!