FAQs

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Jamie: Make New Friends, But Keep The Old...Some Are Silver And The Other Gold...


As you can tell from my blogs lately I've definitely been fulfilling the prescription from Dr. ANS to enjoy time socializing! I think this week I will need to take a big rest. :)

While Dad was here for lunch yesterday, my friend Jamie called to say she was home and wondered if she could stop over. Of course, of course, of course!

So she and Jeannine were both here for a FANTASTIC visit this afternoon.

It's been a great summer for seeing old friends and I've been savoring the moments of feeling well-enough to enjoy it all.


Currently, I'm listening to the book The Girls From Ames. It's a lovely book about eleven girls who formed a friendship group as young girls and have remained friends into their forties. They keep in touch via email by hitting the "Reply All" button and have yearly reunions. The book is making me very sentimental and nostalgic for our group of eight which fully formed in seventh grade, although many of us knew each other long before that.

In addition to knowing each other since our days playing ponytail softball as young girls, Jamie and I also both have parents from Iowa, so I found the timing of her visit particularly coincidental given the book I'm listening to!

During dinner tonight as I talked to Mom about The Girls From Ames, my visit with Jamie, and the other friends in our group she said: "Well, next summer if you feel better you can have everyone come stay here for a reunion." Wouldn't that be awesome girls? I love my mom for her willingness to 'make it work' regardless of this illness.

When I was growing up, our home was often a gathering place. I'm not sure why or how we all ended up here a lot, but I think part of it had to do with me being an only child and my parents always keeping our house welcoming and open to my friends. My mom is a classic Jewish mom and she always had plenty of food around too!

It is always my hope that when old friends come to visit, they still feel like they are stepping into a comfortable, welcoming place where they can plop down on the furniture, say what's on their mind, and help themselves to whatever they need. I hope the our home evokes familiar, happy, and comforting memories.

Thank you so much for calling and letting me know you were in town Jamie! It's been so wonderful being in touch again. And to think, Facebook had something to do with this all. (Kate, get your toosh on Facebook already, will ya?)

Blessings,

Emily

Photos: Jamie, Jeannine and me (I love the photo in which Jamie and I blocked Jeannine's face with our hair!)

3 comments:

Mary said...

I remember the Ponytail softball days!!! I remember Jamie's dad coaching the last few years too! He was awesome. Glad you guys got to visit with eachother!

M.S. said...

It so good to see Jamie too... on a blog. All of you girls look so good!

Man, I can't wait until next summer when I visit you and bring my children... we are going to tire you out! PLUS, I'll be on your blog!

Jessica RIescher said...

Reunion? I'm in!