FAQs

Monday, August 10, 2009

Target


I realize that for most people a trip to Target is a 'normal, every day' experience.

For me, it's a TWICE in a DECADE experience. I was so excited to go to Target for the second time in ten years that I had to take a picture.

The last time I went to Target must have been sometime around 2002 to buy a blender with Mom?

I admit that no matter how hard I try to be a minimalist, it's just not in my nature to be that way on all levels. I still enjoy a shopping trip. I haven't been shopping in so many years, I'm like a kid in a candy store.

Everything at Target seems so shiny and seductive (which means they are succeeding I suppose!). To my DINET friends: Kristen, Melissa and Rachel--I thought about how much you all love Target outings too!

I had energy to go to two sections:

First, the hair care department to buy fun pretty headbands because I don't like my new haircut. (It so doesn't look like Jennifer Nettles). It's good to know some things never change--the Goody brand dominated the aisle.

Second, the card department to pick out cards for my Dad's birthday. For years my mom has picked out all of the cards I need for Dad, Abbie or other occasions that I am even able to get a card together. I was so excited to be able to do this.

After that I was totally wiped. Mom took me on a tour of the store just so I could see what the sections looked like...and think about which part I might want to venture to NEXT time we go to Target! :) I lasted an hour.

At least now I know how to use the credit card machine there. Mom had to show me how to work it. How funny is that? I can handle huge life decisions about medical care and other things, but I can't work a credit card machine?

On some levels, I've experienced more than most people my age have in life. On other levels, I feel so far behind. It's a strange contradiction and makes the world difficult to navigate sometimes.

For now, I'm still reveling in my trip to Target. It was so much more than a shopping trip. We used the chair, I was able to pick things out on my own, I had the energy to go, and Mom and I got to spend time together doing something we haven't been able to do for years. We are both really enjoying our time together being able to do things--even if it's a bit differently than we would have done it in the past.

I remember when I first met Dr. ANS and he asked me if I liked to go shopping. I said: "No!" He laughed and said that the young girls with CFS said they didn't like shopping and he always knew that was a sign they didn't feel well! So, he'd probably be excited that I got to go shopping!

Thanks for letting me share some fun stuff while I am off of my Lyme meds. Last week I had another GI attack, so when I felt a little better on Saturday I wanted to...get...out...of...the...house!

When I am out of the house, it's the only time I really take a break from thinking about the things weighing on my mind. Of course, when I come home the to-do lists are still waiting and all of the coulda, shoulda, woulda's come back. But for a brief hour, I'm just a normal person picking up a few items at Target.

Blessings,

Emily






1 comment:

Rachel Lundy said...

ooohh, fun! I'm glad you got to go to Target. I hope you can have more outings like this.