FAQs

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

The New Joyous Adventures and Relationships of Feeling Better (and Coffee with Ted)

Look Who Popped In From the West Coast!


Over the past year and half, I've blogged very little about fun stuff or serious stuff. I'd like to mix up the posts a bit and throw fun posts in with the serious ones. 

I also think it's really fun to go back and look at what I've done over the past year and a half and see all of the adventures I've had. This week, I looked through the last 11 years of my blog and remember when leaving the house at all was a HUGE event. I would blog about a visit to see some puppies or a drive in the country with Mom and Asher.

Now, outings of some sort (even if it is just an appointment) are almost every day occurrences. In looking through my photos of what I've been doing, I can see how much things have changed over 1 1/2 years.

In the past outings were so very hard and, while I took joy in them, the joy I have now is far greater because I am not so consumed by physical pain and feeling sick. Learning to take joy and create joy has been something that I have struggled throughout illness.



Now that I'm feeling better, the adventures are bigger and different and better. Instead of all of my friends coming to visit me here so I can sit in the recliner or be in a quiet environment, I say: "Hey, I'll meet you for coffee!" or "Let's go out for drinks!" 

What is also so special about feeling better is being able to better engage with my friends when they are home to visit. Last week, I got to see Ted and for the first time in over 18 years, we spent time together, one on one, talking for 3 1/2 hours while sitting outside at a local coffee shop. 

Usually, when Ted is in town he comes over for a visit with his wife and children, and I catch up as much as I can. To be able to talk one on one, face-to-face and truly catch up on how he's really been doing for the past 18 years was incredible.

In some ways, I feel like I am renewing old friendships and they are getting even stronger. When Sarah was in town last time, we went out for drinks at a local restaurant, sat on the patio, and talked for 2 1/2 hours. On her previous visit, we went out for a long lunch. For 18 years, she's been coming to visit me, usually with Bob and/or Lana in tow and we've had very little time to spend together as girlfriends.

I'm so thankful for these friends who stuck by my for these 18 years, sometimes keeping their own pain and struggles from me in an effort not to add to my stress, who selflessly gave to me and waited for this day to arrive. 

Blessings,

Emily

1 comment:

Marjie said...

I'm so happy you are healing and improving and having these new experiences! It can be scary going through these changes, as you don't know what they'll bring, but I'm always in awe of your spirit and willingness to maintain a positive outlook.